Lowest rear flue woodstoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bundy150

Feb 21, 2021
Texas
So far the Hearthstone Castleton at 19 3/8 center rear flue is the lowest I've seen. I can accommodate 20" or less on my install. Do you know of any other stoves that have a low rear flue??

20" is very low. It would be better to look at inserts than freestanding stoves.

I remeasured and 22 3/4 is doable. That puts the Woodstock Fireview as an option. The Castleton is a hybrid and the Fireview is catalytic. Hybrid is probably better, but I have never used one. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
In that case the MF Fire Nova might also just squeak by.

I remeasured and 22 3/4 is doable. That puts the Woodstock Fireview as an option. The Castleton is a hybrid and the Fireview is catalytic. Hybrid is probably better, but I have never used one. Thanks for any help!

Oh no, hybrid is not automatically better than catalytic. Especially an unproven hybrid from a company who only added the catalyst recently because it had to to meet emissions standards.

The fireview, if you like the look and its output serves your needs, is a superior choice.

Everything is bigger in Texas so you might want to look into the Progress with the stubby leg option.

Reactions: Highbeam
Everything is bigger in Texas so you might want to look into the Progress with the stubby leg option.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/woodstock-progress-hybrid-with-short-legs-install-pics.81614/

Rearscreen mentions a short leg. Some stoves offer a short leg option, which might buy you a few inches.

When shoving a freestanding stove into a masonry hole with tight measurements, make sure the stove has a blower option, radiant stoves need to radiate out to the living space, nothing wrong with putting a free standing stove in front of, or partially (1/3) into a fire place, but anything more, be weary of actual performance.

Reactions: DBoon
When shoving a freestanding stove into a masonry hole with tight measurements, make sure the stove has a blower option, radiant stoves need to radiate out to the living space, nothing wrong with putting a free standing stove in front of, or partially (1/3) into a fire place, but anything more, be weary of actual performance.

Can’t you just shove it less far into the actual hole? These rear vent stoves have a horizontal piece of pipe that you can lengthen so long as it has the minimum slope.

The Progress hybrid from Woodstock is a nice looking stove but is side load only so having it out of the fireplace is pretty needed. The IS is a bigger stove, also rear vented, but front door only.

For rear vent stoves, I would be looking at Woodstock only.

The Progress Hybrid is too big, but flue height is ok. I'm looking for a stove to use as a supplemental rather than a primary heat source. Probably 30 days/yr when temps get cold in Austin or we have a power outage. Hard to choose between the Nova, Castleton, and Fireview for occasional use to heat 1400 sq. ft. Any thoughts on which stove would be best are greatly appreciated! The stove would be placed in front of a fireplace(not an insert).

The Progress Hybrid is too big, but flue height is ok. I'm looking for a stove to use as a supplemental rather than a primary heat source. Probably 30 days/yr when temps get cold in Austin or we have a power outage. Hard to choose between the Nova, Castleton, and Fireview for occasional use to heat 1400 sq. ft. Any thoughts on which stove would be best are greatly appreciated! The stove would be placed in front of a fireplace(not an insert).

The PH is only 2.8 cubic feet. If that’s too big then go smaller to the keystone. Lots of happy owners.

For rear vent stoves, I would be looking at Woodstock only.
That's a false caution. There are many good rear venting stoves on the market.

That's a false caution. There are many good rear venting stoves on the market.

I’m sure there are but I wouldn’t be looking at them. Words.

Im not an advanced literary technician but isn’t it a false dichotomy to say that just because one person likes one thing that he dislikes all others?

Last edited:
If Woodstock made smaller hybrid stoves than the Progress, that would probably be my choice. The Nova doesn't have too many user reviews and I believe the Castleton was updated in 2020 (8030 vs 8031). Any experienced user reviews would greatly help!

Go to Woodstock's website. They make many sizes. The main factor will be the lintel clearance.

The Nova is new, but capable. I met the designers and they are quite competent.

The Nova has a center flue height of 19" and is made of 3/16 steel. The Castleton is 19 3/8" and is a soapstone hybrid and a few hundred more. Both would work. Any thoughts on choice ?

Last edited: