Lowes stoves...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen stoves in their stores, but never really checked them out. I'm usually on a mission when I'm in Lowes. What brand(s) do they carry?

Or do they have stoves made by someone with the Lowes brand name on them?

Around here so far, it looks like a soft season for woodstove sales. I haven't monitored the one quality dealer in town, though there are never many cars parked in front when I drive by. But both Lowes and HD are stocking very few stoves, maybe half of the models they have online, and giving less-prominent floor space to them. Very few quality used stoves are being listed for sale on CL and local papers, unlike last year when there was a glut. I see lots of old junk but nothing worth owning.

Very low nat gas prices certainly play a part in this. As do the very warm temps so far. That's due to change mid-week, so we'll see...

The stoves are marked Pleasant Hearth, but look like US Stove models with side shields to me. A slightly lower price it looks like also. My store only appears to sell the small model, which doesn't look bad to me.

I think I read they can still order Englander stoves.

Maybe the market played out when we had the super high oil prices a few years ago.

Matt

Lowes carries three lines: Summers Heat (made by Englander), Forester (made by US Stove), and Pleasant Hearth (made by GHP). GHP is a new comer in the market place. They are also in the barbecue grill business. When CFM went bankrupt in 2008, the CFM barbecue business was auctioned off separately. GHP was the winning bidder. They recently came up with a line of wood stoves (made in China) that they market to home centers. Well, this market segment seems more and more crowded. HHT, with their ECO line, are going after the farm stores and home centers big time. Same for Napoleon, with their Timberwolf offering.

I purchased a pleasant hearth from lowes and love it,I realize its not the dead of winter yet here in Northern Michigan but it has worked awesome and its nice looking also.It holds a fie extremely well and really throws the heat, cant go wrong with the price plus it has a 5yr warranty.

I think if you check you will find that the Pleasant Hearth stoves are coming out of the old CFM plant in Huntington, Indiana.

Info on GHP's line of woodstoves is: (broken link removed to http://www.ghpgroupinc.com/fireplace/productList-wood-stoves.aspx)

Not sure what competitive advantage they have other than price? Maybe just me, but that stainless ash tray would be gone in a minute if I had one of these stoves. Why would one want a flush shelf for ash? I like a deep ash lip to stop the ash crumbs from tumbling out onto the hearth.

I actually saw the stoves at Lowes for the first time today. They probably work fine, but some of the fit and finish was kinda ruff. Price was not bad.

BeGreen said:
Not sure what competitive advantage they have other than price? Maybe just me, but that stainless ash tray would be gone in a minute if I had one of these stoves. Why would one want a flush shelf for ash? I like a deep ash lip to stop the ash crumbs from tumbling out onto the hearth.

In the home centers, price means everything.

Agreed on the stainless insert. One of the stupider ideas I've seen...

Yeah. They should do it like PE and turn the front of the ash lip down. What it that about?

Dunno, the Alderlea ashlip is nice and deep.

Those things on the Pleasant Hearth stoves are the deepest ash lips I have ever seen on any stove. That darn thing sticks out there a foot it seems. Looks really weird on the small stove because it is so seemingly out of proportion with the rest of the stove.

I wonder what kind of secondary they're using? There are no burn tubes in any of the parts lists...

EPA max output range is on the low side for all models - the big one tests out at only 35kbtus... it does look like you could burn N/S in it, though.

precaud said:
I wonder what kind of secondary they're using? There are no burn tubes in any of the parts lists...

EPA max output range is on the low side for all models - the big one tests out at only 35kbtus... it does look like you could burn N/S in it, though.

They are the same stoves as the large and small Century Hearth stoves were. The steel baffle is a box with the E/W ends open and fiber blanket stuffed in it. The baffle is welded to a boxed tube that runs to the back of the stove secondary air inlet. The secondary air comes in through the baffle.

Since putting a new ash lip on a stove doesn't affect the burning characteristics they could use the old EPA certifications from CFM.

I have a hundred that says the poster erroneously saying they are built in China works for SBI, who bought the Canadian CFM assets from the bankruptcy court. And yes, the grills are made in China.

The knowledge I have learned from research and actually speaking to associates at lowes is they are made in indiana. As for the ash lip, its rather big,its around 3/4 inch deep even after the 1/6 stainless insert which is ur option, all in all its the biggest ash lip i have seen on any stove when i was shopping for one. And there r burn tubes and when the secondary combuster kicks in it makes a beautiful display.

BrotherBart said:
The steel baffle is a box with the E/W ends open and fiber blanket stuffed in it. The baffle is welded to a boxed tube that runs to the back of the stove secondary air inlet.

Any pros or cons to this sort of design?

branchburner said:
BrotherBart said:
The steel baffle is a box with the E/W ends open and fiber blanket stuffed in it. The baffle is welded to a boxed tube that runs to the back of the stove secondary air inlet.

Any pros or cons to this sort of design?

Shorter service life, compared to stainless secondary components. And serviceability - non-replaceable parts.

For all the badmouthing stainless secondary tubes get, they are very easy to maintain and replace if needed by the end user...

Hmmmm. Lowe's does not carry stoves or even stovepipe here in the Denver area. I have to order stovepipe and chimney via the web.

Home Depot doesn't sell it, either. Well, at one store I found a few pc. of 24" single wall black pipe, that was all.

I suppose one could maybe have either place truck a stove in on special order. I am not in the market for a stove right now, so it doesn't matter to me. However, there is something, a lot, to be said to being able to stand at an actual stove and look it over in person.

I think Lowes is going thru an identity crisis. I went down there Saturday to buy something that their website said was in stock at that store, got there to find out they have never stocked it. Not the first time that's happened, either. You might have better luck with HD for pipe/chimney.

precaud said:
Around here so far, it looks like a soft season for woodstove sales. I haven't monitored the one quality dealer in town, though there are never many cars parked in front when I drive by. But both Lowes and HD are stocking very few stoves, maybe half of the models they have online, and giving less-prominent floor space to them. Very few quality used stoves are being listed for sale on CL and local papers, unlike last year when there was a glut. I see lots of old junk but nothing worth owning.

Very low nat gas prices certainly play a part in this. As do the very warm temps so far. That's due to change mid-week, so we'll see...

I've visited several stove dealers in the past two months, trying to decide if I should get an EPA stove before the tax credit ends. At each and every shop I asked if they thought the end of the tax credit would hurt their business. Each and every shop said they didn't think it would affect them since they really don't sell too many wood stoves. Most everybody wants gas stoves instead, in spite of the fact that they cost more and there's no tax credit on them. I'm sure the low price of gas has an impact on this decision, but I think there are more folks out there that just want to see some flames. Gas is the easiest way to get that, and since the installations are cheaper and easier, it makes sense to them.

Battenkiller said:
I've visited several stove dealers in the past two months, trying to decide if I should get an EPA stove before the tax credit ends.

You haven't narrowed it down to the Fireview yet?

Some people will never really be suited to wood burning due to the factors already gone over such as the mess and cutting work and hauling and other physical labor or perhaps even lack of inexpensive availability. Plus the management, which with gas is to simply set the thermostat and make sure the pilot light is lit or the electronic ignition working properly.

But some who choose gas over wood due to reasonable gas prices will be whining loudly when the cost goes up again. Same as with cars: you get yourself some spiked gasoline prices and everyone wants to unload their guzzler for pennies and the dealers cannot keep in stock or even get the better-mileage vehicles. Then gas drops a bit, plus drivers are a little more accustomed to the higher gas price, and they start grabbing for those guzzlers all over again.

If we see propane and/or natural gas spike we'll see people looking for wood stoves again.

Status
Not open for further replies.