Lots of ash in the Accentra

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smirnov3

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2006
Eastern Ma
I am using an Accentra insert. I am burning LG pellets (premium softwood). I have burned 12-15 bags of pellets, and the ash pan is full. Is that normal? The manual claims that the ashpan should hold ashes from 1 ton of pellets.

ALso, there are some white flecks in the ash - I am guessing that is from the fly ash / embers (I get a lot of that - some bags it looks like fireworks)

15 bags = 600 lbs.

At .3 % ash, a very low figure, that would be 18 pounds of ash. Some goes up the chimney and into the heat exchangers, but it would not take too much light ash to fill a pan. Maybe some others with the same stove can answer more accurately, but it sounds like normal to me.

I usually dump my ashes every 10-15 bags, the insert has a smaller ash pan then the freestanding Harman's. It also can vary ton to ton or who's pellets I'm using regarding the ash content.

Anton Smirnov said:
I am using an Accentra insert. I am burning LG pellets (premium softwood). I have burned 12-15 bags of pellets, and the ash pan is full. Is that normal? The manual claims that the ashpan should hold ashes from 1 ton of pellets.

ALso, there are some white flecks in the ash - I am guessing that is from the fly ash / embers (I get a lot of that - some bags it looks like fireworks)

Heres a good use for that ash tool that came with your harman............stick it in the burnpot and gently stir the ash, it's fluffy like snow.
this will compress (or de-fluff) the ash quite a bit.
And don't wait on emptying once a ton try between 25 bags and a ton whatever day is warmest and do a full cleaning, at the same time.

The 1 ton per ash dump is true for a p61 or a p68 FS stove, but the Accentra Insert has a MUCH smaller pan.....we tell folks to empty it once a week or when its close to full...you dont want to try to empty it when its brimming full..guaranteed to get stuff all over the floor.....

GVA said:
Anton Smirnov said:

Heres a good use for that ash tool that came with your harman............stick it in the burnpot and gently stir the ash, it's fluffy like snow.
this will compress (or de-fluff) the ash quite a bit.
And don't wait on emptying once a ton try between 25 bags and a ton whatever day is warmest and do a full cleaning, at the same time.

Sorry I meant the ash pan not burnpot :red:

Webmaster said:
15 bags = 600 lbs.

At .3 % ash, a very low figure, that would be 18 pounds of ash. Some goes up the chimney and into the heat exchangers, but it would not take too much light ash to fill a pan. Maybe some others with the same stove can answer more accurately, but it sounds like normal to me.

I think you're off a decimal point here Craig, I get 1.8 pounds of ash.

600x.003

JP

I clean my Assentra Insert out every 12-15 bags of pellets. I have about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch of ash at the bottom of my pan. I use Golden Fire Preminum Pellets that have an ash content of less than .25%, according to the bag.

I guess it's a misprint in the manual, I double checked and it says it should hold a ton. If it held 35 to 40 bags I wouldn't flinch, but we're getting Waaaay less.

JP

jparisi said:
I guess it's a misprint in the manual, I double checked and it says it should hold a ton. If it held 35 to 40 bags I wouldn't flinch, but we're getting Waaaay less.

JP

its gotta be a typo so they can use the same manual or most of the same manual i can't even see how the insert would hold as much as my freestanding my box looks huge compared to a insert

I checked the brochure on their web site, it says "close to a ton of pellets" I don't think 12 bags is anywhere close to a ton.

Oh well, no big deal in the end I guess..... Other than that it's working well.

JP

jparisi said:
I checked the brochure on their web site, it says "close to a ton of pellets" I don't think 12 bags is anywhere close to a ton.

Oh well, no big deal in the end I guess..... Other than that it's working well.

JP

you should call and ask to speak to a tech

I wish it would hold more ash, but emptying the ash pan every 2 weeks is a small task in regards to the operation of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.