Lost nut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
I was cutting Sunday and realized one of my bar nuts had loosened up and fallen off. Never happened before. Got me thinking. How often do you check the torque and check to see if the chain needs to be tightened or loosened? I generally check the chain before every start up but no much else.

This should be done when you start ..routine items , fuel, oil, sharp chain, chain tight .. PPE , cell phone etc...

I store my saws with chains loosened, so I have to tighten bar nuts every time I take them out to use.

Why store with chains loosened? It prevents any chance for chain stretching or needless stress on crankshaft.

That happened to me once . . . I routinely check the nuts now before firing the saw up.

That said . . . my new Jonsered has nut "keepers" that prevent them from falling off and getting lost if they do loosen up.

Why store with chains loosened? It prevents any chance for chain stretching or needless stress on crankshaft.
Not sure I've heard that before. Sounds reasonable, but necessary? Chains should be run with a slight amount of slack, so when they cool they tighten up to only slightly snug, no more?

Last edited:
Reactions: kevin j
Not sure I've heard that before. Sounds reasonable, but necessary? Chains should be run with a slight amount of slack, so when they cool they tighten up to only slightly snug, no more?

It's what I've learned and certainly I could be wrong. Here's how the thinking goes:

Run a saw on a 95*F day in August. All chains heat up from friction and metal expands. At some point, you may tighten it a little more to compensate for the heat expansion. Then you put your saw away in the barn and don't have a need for it until spring time. It sits through what could be -10*F in my area with a cold contracted chain pulling on the crankshaft. Will this stretch the chain? Maybe not. I don't think it's good for the crankshaft.

I will note that longer bars tend to need tighter chains while in operation.

Reactions: Sawset
I think they call them captive nuts. My 562XP has those.
My 550xp has them as well. It's nice not having to worry about losing one.

I lost a bar nut from my dolmar once on a remote craigslist score. Found it in the sawdust but was lucky. Right then I took both nuts off and painted them flourescent blue to make them easier to find if they would ever fall off again. Now they never loosen up but I have had fun explaining my blue nuts.