Lopi vs PE neo 2.5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Kyle1227

Oct 4, 2024
Nebraska
Hi all I have a 70’s ranch about 3k sq feet with 17 ft cathedral ceilings with 1-2 inches of foam on roof for insulation. I have a stone chimney approx 20ft in center of the house with arched opening for firebox and am looking to put in an insert for supplemental heat. I have 2 quotes one with solid flue liner that is a PE neo 2.5the second is a lopi large insert but they use a flexible flue liner. Cost is about the same after install, but as I understand it the lopi qualifies for tax credit and the PE will not. I prefer the contractor that does PE as I have worked with them in the past and are very fast to deal with any issues/service needed. My big question is whether the liner is a big deal, clearly solid is more expensive and likely better quality but should that be a deal breaker? Second are both these units good for my purposes? Third I asked the PE contractor who I prefer to install lopi for me so I could get the rebate and he said he can’t because he’s not a dealer for the product, is that a thing? Or he just doesn’t want to. I truly prefer the lopi product especially with cost savings and my wife would use it more because of green start option. TIA

[Hearth.com] Lopi vs PE neo 2.5

The Lopi large hybrid is a good heater but it is flush and primarily an E/W loader. Will the Summit insert fit?

Check out the Osburn 3500i insert for fit. It's got a big deep belly and they say it qualifies for the credit.

Put in the best liner that you can afford. I like rigid, as long as it's properly installed. In flex, there is a big difference in wall thicknesses that equate to lifespan of the liner. Lightweight liners are only .005 or .006" thick. A better medium-weight liner will have .010" thick walls. Heavyweight liners are .015" walled. In flex, go for a medium or heavyweight liner. For comparison, rigid liner is typically .024 thick or .029".

Last edited:
Put in the best liner that you can afford. I like rigid, as long as it's properly installed. In flex, there is a big difference in wall thicknesses that equate to lifespan of the liner. Lightweight liners are only .005 or .006" thick. A better medium-weight liner will have .010" thick walls. Heavyweight liners are .015" walled. In flex, go for a medium or heavyweight liner. For comparison, rigid liner is typically .024 thick or .029".
I do not mean to hijack the thread. But can you name names on who make quality liners, also the cost range from flexible to fixed? Just so I can keep a dealer quote honest. Thanks If you want to spin this off to a new thread, ok too.

Any thoughts on pe neo? I really prefer the dealer/ installer of that insert
It's a good reliable stove. Easy to use and an easy breather.