LOPI Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

12guns

Sep 29, 2012
So much great info on this sight. So, I found a double door LOPI that I may purchase for a small rock cabin of ours. We’re tired of burning through so much wood with the open fireplace! Now for the dumb question…I assume the stove can be pulled out of the “sleeve “ part of the insert? In short, we are installing it like a free standing stove sticking out a little from the fireplace. I assume the damper will be no more if the stove is used stand-alone? Thanks for any help. I don’t have access to look at this in person yet, so can’t tell how the thing is built and what will or won’t work without the full assembly.
Anybody know the model of this one?

LOPI Question LOPI Question LOPI Question LOPI Question LOPI Question

To clarify, this is a rock cabin, concrete floors, rock fireplace and chimney. Zero combustibles until you get to the roof decking. I'm not at all worried about code for our hunting cabin. I can fabricate some legs or set this one fire bricks to get it off the concrete. My main question, how does the stove come out of the insert part? Does anybody know what the exhaust size/shape will be? If time allows, I'll run out and look at this today. Maybe that'll answer some of these questions. Thanks again for any help!

There is no insert part in the pics? To me this just looks like a stove ...

Back half where the damper is. Maybe I don't fully understand what I'm looking at, LOL. I pictured this as being double walled towards the back, and was hoping if the two pieces came apart, I would then have a free-standing stove with only slight modifications. Maybe these are all one big fire box and that's not possible.

Many freestanding stoves have such a stepped exterior. Sometimes for baffles inside (don't know this particular stove).

To me this is just a stove that is already on wheels for you to move.

Flue looks like a 6" one.
Check out white spots (overfiring), bring a flashlight (check for cracks/gaps), check inside, check firebricks. Check gasket(s). (easily replaceable).

Looks like a Lopi LX double door maybe a FL insert not freestanding, should be 8" flue this is designed to be installed in a masonry fireplace not free standing. Judging by the pics it would be a 1984-87 due to lack of holes over the doors. If you are trying to conserve wood I would look for a newer EPA freestanding stove. This insert will throw out some serious heat but will also eat wood. If you do install it I would recommend a damper especially if your chimney is over 15'.

Reactions: begreen
Yepper. Insert. 8" I'd bet money. Install as designed and with a liner for reasonable return on your efforts. Otherwise put in a newer insert/stove/liner for real return on your efforts. My opinion only. Carry on and enjoy! Add a few cabin pics. Sounds really nifty!

Ok. My bad.