Lopi Medium flush hybrid wood insert operating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kyster54

Dec 24, 2019
Washington State
Hi all...I’m new to the forum and new to owning a wood insert and using a fireplace! We just had our insert installed yesterday Dec 23rd. Did the initial burn in for four hours. I've never seen my cat glow red and still haven't figured out how to use the thermostat that came with the unit...It just blinks lo or hi! How do you engage the cat? I got a good overnight burn last night but that's about it...I've been having to feed it wood all day long. Not sure what to do or if I'm doing anything right. Thanks all and Merry Christmas.

You want to load the stove full, as much as you can fit. Leave the air on full and the bypass open. Once the cat therm is around 500 shut the bypass. Then reduce the air as needed. Obviously if the air is left on high you will burn more wood. Lower settings will burn longer.
Your thermometer never has a temperature displayed? Make sure it’s plugged in to the remote properly.

You want to load the stove full, as much as you can fit. Leave the air on full and the bypass open. Once the cat therm is around 500 shut the bypass. Then reduce the air as needed. Obviously if the air is left on high you will burn more wood. Lower settings will burn longer.
Your thermometer never has a temperature displayed? Make sure it’s plugged in to the remote properly.
Thanks for the response! It seems like I’m burning more wood then I should be. Today I probably put in about 8-10 pieces. I’m still trying to figure out how to get the best heat out put this thing can give me. Last night we got it to where the house was 74 degrees but that was too hot so we backed down to a slower burn rate. The overnight burn doesn’t last all night...even though I’m still learning I’m enjoying having a wood burning fireplace! My thermometer gives me both hi and lo readings I’m guessing when the cat is hot enough! Normally about 800-900 on the high and lo is maybe 560-700ish depends...