Lopi Liberty Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burning*

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2009
IN
New Lopi Libery owners here and just joined this great site that has a wealth of information and opinions. We've read the Lopi Liberty manual lots of times but still need 'experienced' answers to questions.

Is the temperature gauge supposed to be flat on the stove top and not on the slant part of the Liberty?

When, or at what temperature do you push in the bypass rod so the unit is more efficient without clouding up the glass from smoke?

Thanks for your experienced opinions.

I have the Liberty's little brother, the Endeavor. I have my thermometer in the middle of the flat/cooktop top surface. Once the stovetop reaches around 400-450F, I can close the bypass damper (rod on the side) and have secondary combustion immediately. I then start closing down my primary air (bottom rod) in stages over about a 20 minute period. This leaves me with a "cruising" stovetop temp between 600-650F 99% of the time.

My paternal grandmother burns a Liberty, and it's pretty much the same story with it. Just a bigger firebox.

Burning* said:
New Lopi Libery owners here and just joined this great site that has a wealth of information and opinions. We've read the Lopi Liberty manual lots of times but still need 'experienced' answers to questions.

Is the temperature gauge supposed to be flat on the stove top and not on the slant part of the Liberty?

When, or at what temperature do you push in the bypass rod so the unit is more efficient without clouding up the glass from smoke?

I have a temperature gauge on the first step top in the middle and one temperature gauge on the stove pipe 18 inches up from the collar.

Zap

Thanks Pagey and Zapny for the experienced opinions. I think we're on the right track then.
Zapny - our pipes are double walled so I don't think the thermometer will work on the pipe 18" up. What do you think?

Burning* said:
Thanks Pagey and Zapny for the experienced opinions. I think we're on the right track then.
Zapny - our pipes are double walled so I don't think the thermometer will work on the pipe 18" up. What do you think?

Yea we have the single wall out of the collar that goes to double wall duraTech.

Zap

Burning* said:

If you want a thermometer for the double wall pipe you can go with a probe-style thermometer.

Word to the wise. Make sure all of the burn tubes have pins in them and that the holes in the tubes are pointed down. I had the center pin come out and the tube turned upward. The heat bowed the center baffle support so bad that I had to replace it. Other than that the stove has been great.

Burning* said:

This is direct from Customer Service at Travis Industries for stove top temps.

I would suggest putting a stove thermometer on the stove top. That particular unit has a low burn of 200-400 degrees, a medium burn of 400-600 degrees and 600-800 degrees is considered a high burn. A good range to burn at is between 350-550 degrees.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.