Lopi large flush hybrid cat issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joewasilla28

Oct 26, 2018
Norwich, New York
Just started first fire of the season, our second with the Lopi hybrid large flush mount, and while opening the bypass to get ready to reload, the catalytic converter fell forward off the baffle, and got stuck/wedged in place, at an angle hanging precariously... it doesn't look like of will fall so I'm just going to keep these bypass open and let the fire die out. Has this happened to anyone else, and any ideas about what I can or should do to fix it? I have never taken it out, as I only run a shop vac with brush head lightly over it to clean it. It ran great all last winter 24/7 from end of December when we had it installed. Thanks for any help!

Update-I was able to jiggle the cat converter out of its wedged position and remove it from the insert the next morning. It wasn't damaged thankfully. When I tried to put it back in position it leaned forward so I put my hand up on the shelf that it sits on and it seems there was some insulation toward the back causing it to tilt forward. No idea how it got there but I just ran my gloved hand back and forth and it cleared it off. The cat then sat correctly. It hasn't been an issue since!

That insulation was actually the interim gasket that’s supposed to go around the catalyst. It needs replaced each time the cat is pulled. While it’s still usable like it is, it’s more efficient and less like to fall forward again with the gasket.
I’ve been seeing Lopi cats coming out of the can, the cat will not come out of the stove without destroying it when this happens.

I just had the same thing happen to my Lopi large insert. I had the chimney/stove cleaned by a good chimney sweep a few months ago. The cat was in there really tight and hard to get out, so he said he made it a little looser, to make it easier to take out to clean.

I've been burning wood for about a couple months since then. Haven't touched the cat converter. I looked at it about a week ago, and it looked perfectly fine. It was in its normal position.

Tonight, I started the fire, and about 30 minutes later, I heard a clank, and the cat had fallen down and was resting against the glass. I have gloves so I took it out, and let the fire burn out with the flue wide open. Attached is a picture. Only one tiny part of one cell broke, about the size of a toothpick. Some of the insulation is poking out between the grid and the surrounding metal. Should I try to get that back in?

Tomorrow, I plan to try to try to reseat the cat. Does that sound reasonable? I also plan to call the stove shop and have them check it out. I have no idea how the cat could suddenly fall off its ledge, when I haven't touched it in months. How is that possible??

IMG_1023.jpg

EDIT: Here is a picture of the other side. It almost looks as if that insulation was what pushed the cat over. Like it was slowly working its way out of the bracket over time. Either that, or the insulation came out when it fell. Anyway, I don't think I can get that insulation back in place, so should I trim it off? Do I need a new cat?

IMG_1024.jpg

Last edited: