Lopi Flush Wood Insert Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rosem

Aug 27, 2019
Northern Michigan
Question about wood inserts and the finish panel.

We have a fieldstone masonry fireplace that I'm looking to tear down to the firebox and repour with board-formed concrete. I'm taking this opportunity to slightly modify the fireplace opening to match the size requirements of a medium Lopi Flush Wood Insert. It's already pretty close.

My question, is the finish panel optional? Is it just fill the empty space or is it a requirement? If it's a requirement do you just get it custom-sized to match the face size that you select?

The panel isn’t optional. For looks, but the insert requires a “face”, this piece hangs on the panel.
They have standard sizes premise, but they will also make custom panels.

I guess my question is can the finishing panel and the face be the same size?
I don’t see why not. I’m curious though, if the opening is that close to the top of the insert, how will you make the liner connection?

I don’t see why not. I’m curious though, if the opening is that close to the top of the insert, how will you make the liner connection?

Some of the faces are 6" wider and quite taller than the actual insert. I thought that would be enough clearance to connect and then slide over to install the face.

Sometimes it’s really tough to make the connection. We end up with only a few inches on some of them, it really sucks. With very careful planning it could be done though.
The custom panels take a long time to get and they are pricey...

They usually take several weeks and an additional $3-400 I think. @sticks would know.

Ok. I'm at 30" wide and 23" tall. I'm assuming if you fit within the manufacturer's listed min. requirements that you can get it installed? We don't have a damper (it's up near the top of the flue).

I'm looking at the Lopi Medium Flush and Regency Ci2700 to heat around 2,000 sq/ft. (supplemental). The fireplace is located on the far north end of our house.

Any other inserts I should be looking at?

I think the custom panel is 400-450 and the standard panels are around $200. Going from memory so don’t hold me to it ! On that insert check your depth at the height of the unit. That’s the dimension that will get you.