Lopi evergreen vs enerzone solution 2.3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ajy123

Apr 3, 2019
Bethlehem pa
hello everyone. I am new to the forum and somewhat new to wood stoves. My wife and i have decided to switch over to wood heat since propane is getting so expensive and we have access to alot of wood and our house is already equipped with a masonry chimney. The two stoves i am interested in, that i think will sufficiently heat my house are the lopi evergreen and the enerzone solution 2.3. I have a bi-level home, 1600 sq ft, built in 1986. Insulation isnt the best but it isnt terrible either. The stove will be installed on the lower level and we have an open stairway going upstairs. Im assuming either stove will heat sufficiently. Does anyone have any preference between these two stoves? Any help or input is greatly appreciated.

My preference is toward a stove that loads N/S. Between these two stoves the Enerzone has the deeper firebox. The Evergreen is an E/W loader. You might also consider the Enviro Kodiak 1700 if available.

Enerzone makes a rock solid product. Did you look at the 2.9? I really like the shape of the firebox on it. It’s a tall box thats pretty much a dedicated n/s loader. In case you are not sure, that means the stove is loaded straight in rather than logs going side to side.

I have not looked into the 2.9. I was pretty much set on the lopi evergreen until i saw my local stove shop is doing a spring sale and the 2.3 is in the sale. I was leaning towards the lopi because i think it looks better and i also like the bypass damper feature on it. Seemed easier to get a fire going and also allowed nearly no smoke into the home when reloading. I didnt see anything on enerzones website aboot a feature like that

My preference is toward a stove that loads N/S. Between these two stoves the Enerzone has the deeper firebox. The Evergreen is an E/W loader. You might also consider the Enviro Kodiak 1700 if available.
I do like that the enerzone has a deeper firebox but my wood i have split right now is cut to 16-18” which i assume would be too long to load N/S

I have not looked into the 2.9. I was pretty much set on the lopi evergreen until i saw my local stove shop is doing a spring sale and the 2.3 is in the sale. I was leaning towards the lopi because i think it looks better and i also like the bypass damper feature on it. Seemed easier to get a fire going and also allowed nearly no smoke into the home when reloading. I didnt see anything on enerzones website aboot a feature like that
With a properly designed non-cat stove and proper chimney a bypass isn’t necessary. You shouldn’t get smoke in your house.

Reactions: Woody Stover
The evergreen is a great little stove too. It burns really nice! I like the twin ashplugs too. Just remember, it will be hard to fill a stove that’s oriented e/w and has a huge door like the evergreen. You just can’t fill it up unfortunately like you can a N/S loaded stove.

With a properly designed non-cat stove and proper chimney a bypass isn’t necessary. You shouldn’t get smoke in your house.
Would you consider the enerzone 2.3 a “properly designed” non-cat stove? Also what would be a proper chimney? Sorry for all the newbie questions.

The evergreen is a great little stove too. It burns really nice! I like the twin ashplugs too. Just remember, it will be hard to fill a stove that’s oriented e/w and has a huge door like the evergreen. You just can’t fill it up unfortunately like you can a N/S loaded stove.
Ok thats good to know. I just found that the enerzone has a firebox depth of 16.5”. Which i would assume is considerably deeper than the evergreen. Im waiting to hear back from the salesman to see what the enerzone price is on sale.

In addition to the Kodiak 1700 you might also look at the PE Super which has a square firebox.

A proper chimney will meet the stove requirements for draft. For most stoves this is a 15' straight up chimney. The Enviro and PE will work on a 13' flue. If there are 90º turns in the flue system they will decrease draft and a taller chimney pipe may be needed to compensate.

In addition to the Kodiak 1700 you might also look at the PE Super which has a square firebox.

A proper chimney will meet the stove requirements for draft. For most stoves this is a 15' straight up chimney. The Enviro and PE will work on a 13' flue. If there are 90º turns in the flue system they will decrease draft and a taller chimney pipe may be needed to compensate.
Ill have to measure my chimney when i get home. I know there will be roughly 3-4 feet of pipe coming off the stove into a 90 into my chimney which then 90s and goes straight up

The two 90s will reduce the effective height by about 4 ft.

Ill have to measure my chimney when i get home. I know there will be roughly 3-4 feet of pipe coming off the stove into a 90 into my chimney which then 90s and goes straight up
Actually i dont think it 90s. Sorry. Outside at the very bottom of the chimney theres a clean out which im assuming
The two 90s will reduce the effective height by about 4 ft.
do i measure from the cleanout to the top of the chimney or from the top of stove to the top of the chimney?

A tee is a hard 90º turn in the flue path. Just the approximate height of the outside chimney will help. Is it one or two story?

Actually i dont think it 90s. Sorry. Outside at the very bottom of the chimney theres a clean out which im assuming

do i measure from the cleanout to the top of the chimney or from the top of stove to the top of the chimney?
Is it a metal chimney or a masonry one?

Ok I see it is a masonry on sorry I missed that first time through. Have you had it inspected make sure 5hey confirm you have the proper clearances through the wall. Proper clearances from the chimney itself to combustibles as well as scan the chimney for condition of the liner.

2 story. Not at home now to get a measurement but will as soon as i have a chance
If it is a 2 story you have enough height. Have you had the chimney inspected?

If it is a 2 story you have enough height. Have you had the chimney inspected?
Not yet. I having someone install the stove professionally and inspect/clean the chimney. I was up on the roof last week and took the cap off and looked down it and i didnt see anything alarming.

2 story should work ok, but the liner should not exceed the stove requirements for area by a lot. 6" round is ~28 sq in.

Not yet. I having someone install the stove professionally and inspect/clean the chimney. I was up on the roof last week and took the cap off and looked down it and i didnt see anything alarming.
I would have it inspected first so you know what you are dealing with. If the liners are bad or you are lacking clearances (which is very likely). Getting the chimney to a point it is safe to use could easily cost as much as the stove. If the place selling you the stove is reputable they should insist on an full site inspection first. Unfortunately many do not.

Love my Evergreen. It is definitely E/W loader. I can get like 22 inch logs E\W, can only get 14 inch logs N\S. This stove is my only source of heat. House is about 1500sf, great room for the main living space with short hallway to the front and back bedroom. The past 2 of 3 burning seasons I've had sub par wood, had to remove the stove due to waterwpipe break. Didnt get it reinstalled too the 3rd winter. The wife likes the more modern look. We also got the pedestal base, has a very large and pan. The 2 ash dumps are nice. I really love the massive window to view the fire.