Lopi Endeavor dampener screeching

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sardo_67

Sep 19, 2017
mid CT
Just picked up a well cared for 4yr old lopi from across town. All hooked up and trying it out. Great stove, however the air adjustment is messed up.

Looked at a diagram in the instructions it came with but doesn't seem to be a way for it to come apart. Plus it’s held on with rivets. Do I have to drill them out so I can fix it then replace with screws or re-rivet?

viceo of issue and sound.

If you remove the rivets, the entire air control assembly will slide out. It’s spring loaded, be very careful that it doesn’t come apart when you pull it out. Pay careful attention to its orientation. Lube it up with some copper anti seize and reinstall it.

Reactions: sardo_67
If you remove the rivets, the entire air control assembly will slide out. It’s spring loaded, be very careful that it doesn’t come apart when you pull it out. Pay careful attention to its orientation. Lube it up with some copper anti seize and reinstall it.

Ok awesome thank you. i never would have expected it to have springs inside.

I'd try lubricating it without taking it out first. I've done it with my Liberty, mainly because the dealer recommended against taking the assembly out unless it was necessary. Start with graphite, if that doesn't work try some high temp lube. Just remember that a little goes a long way.

No springs inside but I see the metal on metal scraping. I’ll have to get some dry lube later and give it a try tomorrow after it cools down.

Also what fans work on this stove as I see a few different offerings online but none have actual pictures of one installed.

No springs inside but I see the metal on metal scraping. I’ll have to get some dry lube later and give it a try tomorrow after it cools down.

Strange. The Liberty has 2 pieces just like yours, with springs between them that keeps tension inside the slide. Sorry to mislead you.

Perhaps you can attach some brass shim stock (maybe .005") to the bottom of the damper to act as a bearing surface. I doubt it gets too hot in that area so possibly some high temp VHB tape to attach.

Strange. The Liberty has 2 pieces just like yours, with springs between them that keeps tension inside the slide. Sorry to mislead you.

oh that's alright, my brother has the freedom insert and his is like that as well, also his is a pull to close damper while mine is pull to close.

i am going to get some graphite dust and high temp copper lube and give that a try, after some sanding it was better than before so i think it just needs some tweaking.

i also need to grab myself a blower for it as well

Reactions: Mech e
I might try spraying the bottom with graphite dry-lube spray. It's heat-resistant but I'm not sure how long it would work for..? Or the top edges of the air shutter if that's where the screech is coming from.

Strange. The Liberty has 2 pieces just like yours, with springs between them that keeps tension inside the slide.
Maybe the bowed bottom piece puts the tension on it?

Is this a common problem in the Lopi stoves? That sounds terrible. My 8022 has never had this type of problem. Is this a easy fix or on-going issue with these stoves?

Is this a common problem in the Lopi stoves? That sounds terrible. My 8022 has never had this type of problem. Is this a easy fix or on-going issue with these stoves?
I wouldn’t consider it a problem necessarily. I’ve seen it a few times.