Lopi bypass question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

carg3

Hearth Supporter
Jan 29, 2007
The new Lopi Liberty is a great deal more efficient than what I had, and I like it, but I have a question. The bypass, which I assumed was just a flat plate, actually rotates on my stove. Checked a friend's (same model but older) and his does not rotate. The stove behaves as it should, but I have to remind myself to turn the knob until I feel resistance. I had assumed the handle and bypass plate were one piece. Is this not the case? Nothing in the manual about the bypass being able to rotate.
Anyone have a thought before I call Travis?

The Liberty NexGen has a slider plate. It gets pulled in or out. If it is rotating then it sounds like the damper yoke (3) prongs have slipped out of the damper slide plate (6) sockets.
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 12.28.35 PM.png

Thanks begreen. Looked over the manual again. It looks as though this can be put back in by moving the baffle fire bricks out of the way and reaching up in there. Is there room enough above to angle a brick or two out and get my hand in there, and what would cause the prongs to slip out of place?

That's going to take some inspecting. It's just a guess, but maybe shipping jostled it or was the stove placed upside down to attach legs or get it upstairs?

This is a 2019, bought before the drop dead date in May. The legs were on it, and its trip to the basement was smooth. I honestly don't know if it's been this way since day one this fall. Only noticed it the other day when I used the bypass handle for the first time. The bypass still works, but now that I look at the blowups, I don't know how. Guess I better shut it down a few days and decide whether I can do it myself or not.

The older Liberty had a round slider plate I think, but the configuration was the same. It's possible that the bypass has always been closed or in some partway position. Rotating the handle should do much of anything.

Yeah, the manual shows it as round, rather than the rectangle you showed, but same principle. I think I'd better let it burn out. If the rod stops controlling the plate, and I can't use the bypass at the next reload, I'm not sure I can control the stove. Thanks for your help, as always.

While looking, check the yoke to make sure the rod did not get bent somehow.

The whole assembly has a lot of play in it. I’m not sure what you mean by rotates? What’s rotating?
It can be very difficult to get it all back together if you’ve never done it. Don't go taking it apart just yet.

Reactions: moresnow
I can take the exterior part of the bypass damper, the eye bolt looking part, and spin it round and round. I hadn't used the accessory handle until the other day....just slid the thing straight in and straight out. But when I put the handle on and used it, I noticed it dropped to a position perpendicular to the floor when I let go, as gravity does work. It led to the discovery that the rod can rotate.....not as it should be. I'm open to suggestions, but I bought this three hours from home, and don't expect anything from the shop in Watertown. (I'll actually give North Country Hearth a plug.....good people).

I won't go taking anything apart yet webby. I respect your advice in these matters.

Sounds like the fork has came out of the bypass plate.

Cant you pull the connector pipe and visually inspect when the stove cools? I thought I could on the old Liberty I have worked on?