Lopi Answer NT -damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wheelhorse2347

Feb 19, 2024
Milford, Mi
Good morning,

We’ve decided to move the Lopi Freedom upstairs to the great room and so I picked up a 2019 answer NT to put in the smaller basement. This model doesn’t come with a damper, and Im afraid with the 25’ chimney it might pull too much draft.

Since this unit is smaller, I’d like to add a damper to give more control (plenty of room to do so). The handle will run out the custom bezel we are making.

Would this cause any operational issues? I figure worst case it just stays open.

Pics attached

Lopi Answer NT -damper

That should be ok, though the function will be different than on the big insert. The Freedom has a bypass damper. This is just for starting/reloading and not for regulating the draft strength. Instead, it bypasses the secondary combustion system, allowing the smoke to go directly up the flue.

How does the Freedom burn with the basement flue? If no issues, then the Answer may be ok. It might be worth trying out before adding a custom bezel. Still, there's no harm in adding the damper unless the draft is somewhat marginal due to negative pressure issues.

The Freedom always burned really well, almost too well. It always seemed like the chimney was drawing too hard. You could adjust it a bit with the air inlet, but even in secondary mode it always seemed like it needed to be slowed down. When we move the Freedom upstairs, we will have about 12ft inside chimney and 2 foot outside, so hoping that will mean a more reasonable draft.

Nearly complete. I ended up adding the damper and it really helps to slow down the burn. Figured while I had it out I would tile the old brick work where the old Freedom bezel was. Just need to finish the edges, build a custom bezel, and extend the damper control through the bezel. Really happy how it turned out!!!

Lopi Answer NT -damper

Reactions: stoveliker