Lopi 1750i accidental overfire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lp9900

Nov 15, 2018
California
hi all, I walked away from my woodstove after getting a fire started and i accidentally got the temps too hot. On top of the stove was 866 degrees. I’ve opened the bypass and closed down the air control completely to stop the over fire. It’s now down to 793. But I’m very worried that I may have damaged some parts and voided my warranty. Is there a way I can verify everything is alright once I don’t have a fire going? Ack! What to do in these situations?!?!?

hi all, I walked away from my woodstove after getting a fire started and i accidentally got the temps too hot. On top of the stove was 866 degrees. I’ve opened the bypass and closed down the air control completely to stop the over fire. It’s now down to 793. But I’m very worried that I may have damaged some parts and voided my warranty. Is there a way I can verify everything is alright once I don’t have a fire going? Ack! What to do in these situations?!?!?
It is probably fine. Once the fire is out just clean the stove out and look everything over really well checking for any warping or cracking. In the future opening the door will drop the temp quickly as well.

Thank you so much. I initially opened the door and then thought with oxygen it would perpetuate the fire. Thus, opening the bypass damper to allow the heat to go up the chimney and closing off air control to slow down the oxygen to the fire. 15 minutes later and it’s ;92’ into the 500’s. Whew.

Fingers crossed that all is okay.

I just don’t want to compromise this new investment in any way shape or form.

The flood of cool room air will drop the temp even with the fire still burning. The stove is probably ok, but the lesson here is to never walk away from a startup fire unless you have a timer on you set to alarm in 5 or 10 minutes. A kitchen timer or cellphone works great. Just don't ignore it!

Reactions: lp9900
You are absolutely right about the lesson learned. Great idea to set a timer. I can do that! Thanks for the great advice.

A second to begreen's timer suggestion. I have a timer in my office that I keep in there. When I head up there I run "set the timer" over and over in my head and then set it immediatly! It is soooooo easy to get distracted these days it seems.

And then you HAVE to get up as soon as the timer goes off. If you do a, "I'll just finish this email" thing you'll be running for the stove when it pops into your head after a few minutes ... hopefully!!

Yes, I speak from experience, but now have myself trained! ;-)

An auber thermometer with an alarm is a nice safeguard as well

Warranty voided. Now enjoy the freedom from having to worry if you are going to void the warranty in the future.

-got my Quadrafire Millennium to 950 on top, once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A one time event shouldn't trash your warranty but you'll never know until you have to use it. The tech people will determine whether overfiring the stove will have caused any prospective issue down the road. As noted, your more important task at hand is to not let it happen again. 30 lashes with a wet noodle for you this time around. Your spouse may administer the punishment at your leisure. Some on here may want a follow-up story on how the punishment goes.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
An auber thermometer with an alarm is a nice safeguard as well

And that does eliminate any human error of which there is tons with the setting the timer and responding to the timer approach. :oops:

Reactions: bholler
Another vote for the Auber. It’s the best money I spent since Black Friday. The whole family knows which way to push the lever if it ever goes off.

Evan