Looking forward to 20 degree temps!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
This past few weeks of below zero temps here has had me running the princess hard. I usually run smaller loads and try to time 12 hour reloads. I have been packing it full and having to reload every 10 hours the last 2 weeks. I wouldn't usually call getting to 20 degrees a warming trend but I am looking forward to it. These are the times I wish I had access to hardwoods😀

This past few weeks of below zero temps here has had me running the princess hard. I usually run smaller loads and try to time 12 hour reloads. I have been packing it full and having to reload every 10 hours the last 2 weeks. I wouldn't usually call getting to 20 degrees a warming trend but I am looking forward to it. These are the times I wish I had access to hardwoods😀
I’m just “upstream” of you in the weather system and am already feeling the warm up. It is not very typical to have frozen ground so long here in the west. It’s been a good stretch to remind us about how cool things can get. My princess performed great as well.

And here in the NE we have been unseasonably warm so far this winter. No snow but a dusting here and there. My daffodils are coming up in the front yard. 50 degrees this morning where I am. We should be entering the coldest time of the year and the 10-day daytime forecast is for temps above freezing and in the 40's.

Reactions: bholler and PAbeech
We have had some disturbing weather trends this year. It got unusually hot this summer. Hitting 100 at my house with very little nightime recovery is unheard of, but we got a month of that. Now it is dipping below zero with very little day time recovery which doesn't happen very often either. At least I can overcome the winter temps with the wood stove, summer without an AC was a bear😀

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Ive got a bunch of hardwood ready to burn
And here in the NE we have been unseasonably warm so far this winter. No snow but a dusting here and there. My daffodils are coming up in the front yard. 50 degrees this morning where I am. We should be entering the coldest time of the year and the 10-day daytime forecast is for temps above freezing and in the 40's.
Get ready. Around 1pm the weather is going to dip into the 30s and then 20s with a real feel in the teens. Its kind of a bummer when it gets to 50 degrees when it should be way below freezing..

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Inevitably the cold from out west will make its way east. Sad! We had nice mid 30s weather for the past 10 days. Woke up this morning to 10f with wind making it feel-1f. January is here…

Ive got a bunch of hardwood ready to burn

Get ready. Around 1pm the weather is going to dip into the 30s and then 20s with a real feel in the teens. Its kind of a bummer when it gets to 50 degrees when it should be way below freezing..
Here down on the outskirts of Stroudsburg where I am we're much lower in elevation (Bartonsville-Snydersville side); it's only supposed to hit the upper 20's, then we bounce back up. I know it gets colder up near you.

Reactions: PAbeech
Here down on the outskirts of Stroudsburg where I am we're much lower in elevation (Bartonsville-Snydersville side); it's only supposed to hit the upper 20's, then we bounce back up. I know it gets colder up near you.
Ok cool i know the area pretty well. How is camelback mountain doing with the season?? Im sure not good at all

Ok cool i know the area pretty well. How is camelback mountain doing with the season?? Im sure not good at all
I imagine Camelback and Shawnee are hurting...just making their own snow since we haven't had more than a couple of dustings. I don't get by Camelback, but I drive past Shawnee often, and their parking lot never has more than a handful of cars.

I imagine Camelback and Shawnee are hurting...just making their own snow since we haven't had more than a couple of dustings. I don't get by Camelback, but I drive past Shawnee often, and their parking lot never has more than a handful of cars.
I know mountain creek by me is hurting, I have a season pass and only went once, way to crowded for everyone to be on the same trail, the weather here has been a perpetual spring mud season, cant even take the tractor out to do any work without fear of creating a large mud pit.
I'm curious what this all means for us out east, when the pattern flips or if it flips are we going to get socked, will spring be a long winter again, will I be burning into May like other past years?

I know mountain creek by me is hurting, I have a season pass and only went once, way to crowded for everyone to be on the same trail, the weather here has been a perpetual spring mud season, cant even take the tractor out to do any work without fear of creating a large mud pit.
I'm curious what this all means for us out east, when the pattern flips or if it flips are we going to get socked, will spring be a long winter again, will I be burning into May like other past years?
Yah i guess ittl be a classic long east coast winter.. snow in april and may

I'd also like to add that I started burning back in Nov and only managed to burn about 3/4 of a cord so far, seems like I have a fire going low and slow, but only really opened the stove up a handful of times so far.

Been there and it can leave now. We chewed through a lot of wood in the past week. The temp is up to 42º at 10 am. Snow and ice are melting and we should be able to switch back to 12 hr reloads. The hardware and lumber stores are going to be very busy today, especially the plumbing department.

I’m looking forward to 20s. We have set or almost (with in a degree or two) record high temps since the day after Christmas, almost 80. Dehumidifier is now running and I’m sweating doing house work. Should get to light the stove Monday night or Tuesday morning. I have yet to empty my 3 gallon ash can but it’s almost full but normally I would have dumped it twice. By the middle of January. I’m not complaining it’s been very enjoyable (until last night trying to sleep with the house 75 degrees), but it sure doesn’t feel like winter.

I’m looking forward to 20s. We have set or almost (with in a degree or two) record high temps since the day after Christmas, almost 80. Dehumidifier is now running and I’m sweating doing house work. Should get to light the stove Monday night or Tuesday morning. I have yet to empty my 3 gallon ash can but it’s almost full but normally I would have dumped it twice. By the middle of January. I’m not complaining it’s been very enjoyable (until last night trying to sleep with the house 75 degrees), but it sure doesn’t feel like winter.
Make sure the outside faucets and water lines are drained and protected.

Make sure the outside faucets and water lines are drained and protected.
By 20s I mean 28 degree low. And good thing about southern 1960s brick veneer construction is the insulation wasn’t great so all the hose bibs on the house have never frozen even down to the teens😉. Soil is so warm now ground won’t freeze and our water meter is only 6” below grade. If we ever see record low temps there will be a lot of people in trouble. 5 F is the record low. Average January high is 57.

But yes thanks for the reminder I did crack my irrigation pump one year. But don’t have to worry this year as it’s replacement has been an on goi g project since the end of October

By 20s I mean 28 degree low. And good thing about southern 1960s brick veneer construction is the insulation wasn’t great so all the hose bibs on the house have never frozen even down to the teens😉. Soil is so warm now ground won’t freeze and our water meter is only 6” below grade. If we ever see record low temps there will be a lot of people in trouble. 5 F is the record low. Average January high is 57.

But yes thanks for the reminder I did crack my irrigation pump one year. But don’t have to worry this year as it’s replacement has been an on goi g project since the end of October
Yes, my sister and brother live nearby you. They rub in the shirtsleeve winter you've been having.

Reactions: EbS-P