Looking for Tribute 8040 Heat Shield (90-68400)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

doulos

Sep 14, 2024
Eagle River, AK
Hi everyone. I am trying to track down a heat shield kit for my Hearthstone Tribute 8040.

The tag states the part number is 90-68400 but it has been discontinued and I'm hoping someone might now of a place that has a random one left in stock by chance. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are trying to sell our house the check on on wood stove found that it doesn't have enough clearance behind the stove without the heat shield installed. We do have a the double walled pipe but it looks like who ever originally installed the stove never put the heat shield on and only the double wall piping and then used the clearance from the wall as if the heat shield was there. To add to it, I live in Alaska so I'm sure shipping is going to be a pain but it is what is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Caleb

Does the manual allow to decrease clearance by adding a vented shield on the wall?

If so, that can be made from cement board and some 1" long pipe offsets. No special parts needed then.

Try a big outfit like Rocky Mountain Stove Shop and ask if they can help locate the heatshield.

Try a big outfit like Rocky Mountain Stove Shop and ask if they can help locate the heatshield.
I've already called them but they weren't able to help unfortunately. I've called a couple other places as well that I'm waiting to hear back from.

Does the manual allow to decrease clearance by adding a vented shield on the wall?

If so, that can be made from cement board and some 1" long pipe offsets. No special parts needed then.
It does not, unless I'm reading incorrectly, which is possible. It just states the minimum clearance from the wall for normal install and then the minimum if you using the heat shield and double insulated piping. Here's a link to the manual. The fireplace company doing the inspection also stated it needs to be an OEM heat shield or manufacture approved option. (broken link removed)

If no luck, I would consider fabrication. It's a simple assembly consisting of 2 support brackets that hold the flat metal panel.

[Hearth.com] Looking for  Tribute 8040 Heat Shield (90-68400)
In lieu of this, the wall shield is the next best answer.

Did you try these folks?

If no luck, I would consider fabrication. It's a simple assembly consisting of 2 support brackets that hold the flat metal panel.

View attachment 329729
In lieu of this, the wall shield is the next best answer.
That's what I would do if the option was up to me but it won't pass inspection that way unfortunately as they stated it has to be OEM or approved by the manufacture in writing.

I did not thanks. It seems like they have it but the site also seems a bit sketchy, especially that there is no phone or address listed. Have you used them before?
No, but they have been around. the name showed up in a parts search. email is [email protected] or they have a contact form. https://woodheatstoves.com/pages/contact-us
Phone - 877-265-8618 or 530-265-8618 Fax 530-265-8656 Address - 12426 N. Bloomfield Rd. Nevada City,

That's what I would do if the option was up to me but it won't pass inspection that way unfortunately as they stated it has to be OEM or approved by the manufacture in writing.
If an oem part is not found, the options appear to be to either move the stove out further, change the stove to one with closer clearances, or ask if they will approve current clearance with an NFPA 211 wall shield system as described in the manual.

Reactions: doulos