Looking for recommendations 2200 sq ft Ranch Home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wwells48

Feb 7, 2018
South Carolina
I am looking for a recommendation on a wood burning insert for my fireplace. I’ve heard some good things about the BK units but getting ahold of one seems like a whole different process. Here is a picture of my Ranch home it is 2200 Sq ft and has two working fireplaces. (They are indicated in with RED marks in the photo. The house is older and the fireplace is very inefficient I have burned in the fire place that’s in the great room, but never in the living room. The reason is because before I purchased the home they did a quick Berber carpet job to make things look nice but it’s actially awful looking. I also have a young son so I don’t want an open fire at all. The fireplace in the great room has doors and is a little more modern. Any advice or recommendations would be great thanks!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• Looking for recommendations 2200 sq ft Ranch Home
    12EC6DD9-7F7C-4C4D-AA32-98CC9BF447D0.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 134
The living room fireplace looks like the best location for heating the most area in the house. We'll need full dimensions for this fireplace and clearance distances to the mantel if it's made of wood.

The living room fireplace looks like the best location for heating the most area in the house. We'll need full dimensions for this fireplace and clearance distances to the mantel if it's made of wood.

Width is 36 inches wide in the front opening.
Height is 30 inches tall
Depth is around 23 inches deep.
Not sure how you would account for when the fire place tapers to the back wall but the very back of the fire place wall measures 24 inches wide.

Not sure about the clearance of the mantel but I’m assuming its measured from where the the mantel wood overlaps the brick that distance is about 6 inches from the opening of the fire place and the sides measure 8 inches from the opening. Please correct me if this is not the right info.

Agree with @begreen re living room v- great room insert placement.

Also, you mentioned "older" home. Fix your air leaks, all of them. You will save money and be warmer no matter what energy source you use for heat.

Also, bring in two cords of green wood now, i suggest pine, so you will have good fuel in sep 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any recommendations on fireplace inserts, based on the dimensions listed above? I’ve been looking at the blaze king princess, they seem to be a really popular and dependable unit. They also have really good heat output from what I read. Another stove insert In mind is the Buck 91 model stove insert. I have read a few good reviews on this unit the heat output BTU wise is incredible. Just would like to get some live feedback on here thanks!

So the mantel shelf is at about 36"? That sounds pretty low and possibly a constraining factor. Measure from the hearth to the bottom of the mantel shelf to verify.
Not sure about the clearance of the mantel but I’m assuming its measured from where the the mantel wood overlaps the brick that distance is about 6 inches from the opening of the fire place

A picture may help here.

So the mantel shelf is at about 36"? That sounds pretty low and possibly a constraining factor. Measure from the hearth to the bottom of the mantel shelf to verify.

A picture may help here.

I attached a picture to give a visual representation. However I was measuring something else I misunderstood sorry. The Meaurment from the hearth to the bottom of the mantel is around 53 inches

Attachments

650791D2-A185-4C5E-B2B3-413C97DF161F.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 113
All that wood trim around the fireplace opening might be an issue.

As far as inserts go: I am probably a little prejudiced since I own one, but I like the blaze king inserts. They have a couple other inserts other then the princess, tho the princess is a great stove. Which ever you go with since your in South Carolina I would go for a cat stove for the low burn ability. This is just my opinion tho.

Also have you thought about putting a stove in front of the fireplace or even partially in it? Not sure if it will fit but might be something to consider. It will open up some other choices to you.

That doesn't sound like a huge FP. Depending on the taper of it, and where exactly the damper opening is (but that can be modified) you might only be able to fit a mid sized stove in there...I could be wrong...and I hope I am, its nice to have more options and not be limited by size...but the dimensions you listed are similar to the measurements of my FP, and I was limited to a 1.8 CF firebox (Drolet 1400i) and it was a really tight fit (at the back, not at all at the front) The issue was getting it to sit back far enough to get the flue liner hooked up, and also back far enough to meet the hearth requirements, as measured from the front of the stove, out.

That doesn't sound like a huge FP. Depending on the taper of it, and where exactly the damper opening is (but that can be modified) you might only be able to fit a mid sized stove in there...I could be wrong...and I hope I am, its nice to have more options and not be limited by size...but the dimensions you listed are similar to the measurements of my FP, and I was limited to a 1.8 CF firebox (Drolet 1400i) and it was a really tight fit (at the back, not at all at the front) The issue was getting it to sit back far enough to get the flue liner hooked up, and also back far enough to meet the hearth requirements, as measured from the front of the stove, out.

I would defiantly modify where I have to, I am really set on getting one in there now haha. Something interesting I seen, since you mentioned your fireplace is similar to mine. The layout of the Drolet 1400i versus the blaze king princess, It seems like if the Drolet would fit then the blaze king definitely would. From the reading that I’ve done it seems the blaze king is a sought after and superior unit. What’s your thoughts on this?

Attachments

C90CD3F9-ABA2-4D6D-BDB2-AB1E0FDD873A.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 125
    DE3FF1F8-2D37-4199-AEBA-99115FDFD9E9.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 93
I attached a picture to give a visual representation. However I was measuring something else I misunderstood sorry. The Meaurment from the hearth to the bottom of the mantel is around 53 inches
Great that helps. A large insert can fit in there as long as clearances pass. The Blaze King Princess or the Pacific Energy Summit look like they would work.