Looking for product recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

guysmiley

Sep 29, 2011
Alberta
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for a couple of product recommendation. I need a woodstove that is relatively portable to heat a large canvas tent in the winter. There are several options available that are designed for this exact purpose however none of them have a glass door. To me at least it seems a shame to be burning wood without being able to see the fire.

I was wondering if anybody on this forum knew of a stove that had a glass door and was relatively portable. The closest I've come with online searching is the salamander hobbit stove from the UK. I'm looking for more options due to pricing and availability. There are several cylinder stoves I can get cheaply that would work well if I could retrofit a door with a window.

As a second request, I'm looking to upgrade my fireplace situation at home. I currently have an inefficient zero clearance on the main floor and a second chimney in the basement that has nothing attached to it. I'd like to increase the heating ability of the zero clearance on the main floor with minimal expense. The chimney is a double wall but I don't know what I can put in the space.

The basement chimney also appears to be a double wall. Can I just hook up a wood stove to the existing chimney? I attached an image of the basement chimney.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Garrick.

[Hearth.com] Looking for product recommendations

For a camp stove, no window, but these are purpose made:
http://tinyurl.com/3smjy2s
(broken link removed)
http://www.walltentshop.com/CatStoves.html

As for the second question. That pipe does not look legally installed. It appears to be right against combustibles. Don't proceed without having a certified sweep inspect it for the piping type, installation correctness and condition.

I have an appointment with a sweep/installer already booked, I was more curious if this is even the kind of chimney pipe that I could use with a wood stove. Thanks for the links to the camp stoves, I have found several that are very similar just none with a glass door!

Garrick.

guysmiley said:
I have an appointment with a sweep/installer already booked, I was more curious if this is even the kind of chimney pipe that I could use with a wood stove. Thanks for the links to the camp stoves, I have found several that are very similar just none with a glass door!

Garrick.

No one wants to setup their camp stove only to discover the ceramic glass door has broken from a bumpy ride down the trail, so you will have a hard time finding a glass door on a camp stove unless you make something yourself.

Even if that chimney is installed correctly, you probably won't be able to use it for a wood stove without lining it with something. Usually the type installed is not rated for the heat a wood stove will put out.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll assume that I'll have to replace the chimney and wait until the sweep/installer comes out.

As for the camp stove, I'll have to buy one and modify it or go with the hobbit. (broken link removed to http://www.salamanderstoves.com/docs/64/the_hobbit/)

Does anybody have a hobbit stove that can provide me with an honest review? It's heavier than I'd like for my "semi" permanent yurt/wall tent but it has the right look that I'm wanting.

Thanks,

Garrick.

How large is the yurt and how often will it be moved? I helped install a Morso 2110 in a yurt a few years back. It's worked out quite well. If this is a smaller yurt then maybe the smaller Morso 3112 would work?

I'll attach a photo when I get it set back up. It's less of a yurt, more of an octogon army tent. We use it to winter camp during the ice fishing season. It's 17 feet in diameter. I'm in the process of buying some land and I will be setting it up as a more permanent shelter.

Garrick.

Status
Not open for further replies.