Looking for options/ideas for a sufficiently fancy radiant heat wall shield...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

billbaehr

Feb 27, 2011
Northwest Pennsylvania
Okay gang... I'm hoping my friends on the Hearth.com forum can help me find what I am looking for.

I am installing a small Vogelzang wood stove in my sister's 30'x30' sun room so she can make use of it in the winter. Not sure why... since this merely means I'll be chopping and delivering fire wood for her now too... but she's my (30 year old) baby sister and wants what she wants, so there ya have it.

The clearances for the location she chose are fine on all sides except the rear of the stove... which is a brick veneer wall that was the outside of the house before the sun room was added on. The 4" thick brick wall is backed by combustibles and has no ventilation... therefore making the brick itself insufficient for radiant heat protection. A wall shield will have to be installed. Easy enough... some ceramic spacers... 1" of space behind the board... a little blower to circulate air... no big deal.

Here's the Problem. All the options for commercially available wall shields are simply HORRIBLE!!!! She wants something that looks nice rather than fake... and who can blame her? She likes metal... stainless steel, cast iron etc... and she wants it fancy. My suggestion was a plain sheet of stainless or cast iron plates... but apparently that ain't fancy enough.

Now I am handy... but I know nothing about fancy. I do my clothes shopping at Tractor Supply. My barber is a flow-be attachment on a shop vac. If anything, I'm the opposite of fancy.

So that is where I'm at.... I need to find, or create, a radiant heat wall shield that is sufficiently fancy so as to please the eye of my princess of a baby sister. Any ideas?

Specifications are:
- Needs to be fancy.
- needs to be 1" or less in thickness.
- Needs to be at least 32" high and 30" wide.
- Needs to be metal
- Did I mention it needs to be fancy?

Any and all ideas would be VERY appreciated!!!!!

Hmmm . . . didn't say it had to be cheap . . . how about copper . . . or for some fancy metal work a nice piece of tin ceiling. Of course, if your sister was looking for fancy and expense was no option I am wondering if she wouldn't have been better off with some other stove besides the Vogelzang . . . not exactly one of the high end stove lines.

Hope the stove is better than the Voglezang box stove. If there is a good metal shop nearby that does a lot of stainless steel work, there are a lot of nice options for special finishes. Even a simple shop can do a diamond quilt pattern in a brake.

(broken link removed)

Here are some hammered and some quilted stainless sheets:

(broken link removed)

firefighterjake said:
Hmmm . . . didn't say it had to be cheap . . . how about copper . . . or for some fancy metal work a nice piece of tin ceiling. Of course, if your sister was looking for fancy and expense was no option I am wondering if she wouldn't have been better off with some other stove besides the Vogelzang . . . not exactly one of the high end stove lines.

The Vogelzang Frontiersman is a hand-me-down from big brother. lol It was my first wood stove... and it had been sitting in my basement since I replaced it with something a good bit nicer. That said... cost isn't a huge deal, though spending thousands for something to sit behind a tiny Vogelzang would be silly. Perhaps some copper foil or tin ceiling panels attached to some cement board? Hmmmm.... good ideas!

BeGreen said:
Hope the stove is better than the Voglezang box stove. If there is a good metal shop nearby that does a lot of stainless steel work, there are a lot of nice options for special finishes. Even a simple shop can do a diamond quilt pattern in a brake.

(broken link removed)

Here are some hammered and some quilted stainless sheets:

(broken link removed)

Now we're talking! Rigidized® Metals Corporation is across town from our cousin in Buffalo... who happens to be coming out for a visit over July 4th. I already called the company and was told they can do a custom size 18 gauge sheet for me in any of the back splash patterns they offer for about $150. Not bad!

Thank you thank you BeGreen! Knew I'd get some good responses here. :)

Ask them to hem the raw edges (1/2" foldover) for a more finished look. This should look really sharp. Take pictures when it's done.

the home depot has some stamped metal ceiling panels available that you may want to take a look at, also.
i think this shows some of 'em.

(broken link removed to http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Ceilings-Attics-Ceilings-Grid-Ceilings-Ceiling-Panels/h_d1/N-bnflZ5yc1v/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&searchNav=true)

Wood Heat Stoves said:
I would vote for Copper. Very fancy and high class.

Another plus for Copper. Even if she lets it go, it'll eventually get a nice green petunia; going from a "bright" to a "dull" to a "black/dark" to eventually a darker green.

Nice! I haven't seen these before.

Status
Not open for further replies.