Looking for doorway fan ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gthomas785

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2020
Central MA
Background: Having been built in the 1820s, my house has pretty small rooms. Two front rooms are about 13x14, with 8ft ceilings and a hallway/stairs in between. These rooms are joined in the back by a larger 15x20 family room with 7ft ceiling. I have a stove in the left front room because that's where the chimney is.

If I have a fire going, the stove room easily gets to 85+ degrees but I still hear my furnace cycling (thermostat is in the adjacent hallway set to 66). So to move heat out of the tiny stove room, I have been using this box fan on the floor blowing cool air from the hallway. So cool air comes in this door and out the other door into the family room. It works great except that it blocks the doorway and I'm constantly tripping over it, or moving it and forgetting to put it back, etc.

Any ideas how I can get a similar effect without a giant fan in the doorway? Thanks

IMG_20210116_085956.jpg

Have you seen these? I used one, with moderate
success, to move heated air up a staircase.
It worked, but not great, & the cord was unsightly.
You might find it cheaper elsewhere & I believe there
are battery-operated models available...