Looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bewarm

Dec 22, 2011
Midcoast Maine
Hello All,

I have been considering "jumping in" to the world of pellet stove heat. While doing research, I came across this forum which has been very helpful. I am close to purchasing a stove and I'm hoping to get some advice before I take the leap. Please let me start by explaining my layout and thoughts. I have a 30 x 54 ranch with a full basement. Basement is finished with 3.5" fiberglass insulation and sheetrock on all walls. No insulation in floor joists. Home is 4 years old and well insulated. I would like (need) to place the stove in the basement because I don't have a good spot upstairs. That said, I want to get heat to the living area. Based on what I've read here, it's not an ideal set-up but I would like to make it work. The stove will be located in the north east end of the basement about 40' away from the stairs which are located in the south east end. Living area layout has fairly open kitchen, dining and living room. I would like to do this without vents and registers but realize it may not work. If need be, I am willing to cut registers in but would most likely go with ductwork from the stove to the registers. Based on the square footage and our climate, I have been looking at the Enviro Maxx or the Harman P68. I'm interested in thoughts on the basement location and the stove selection.

Great forum with very interesting and helpful information!! Thanks to all!!

Welcome to the forum, you will have plenty of help here. I have had a Harman P68 for four years. I am very happy, it is a great stove. Now for your situation, you need to put the pellet stove where you want the heat to be, in your living area. You would be making a huge mistake putting it in the basement, I can't imagine you being happy with the outcome. You can cut holes in the duct work etc. and floor registers, but you're doomed to failure. Find a place on the main floor and you will be happy. Have the dealer come out and look for locations; I did when I first became interested and it helped. I also wanted to put it in the cellar, but the dealer showed me the light real quick.

Tom C.

This is a very similar setup to mine. I have a Heatilator Cab 50 in my basement. Basement ceilings are 9'3". It is also a walkout and has almost two walls studded with insulation and the others are concrete. I do not have an OAK installed yet. My stair case is about 30 feet from the stove and the floors are not insulated. I installed a programmable thermostat across the basement and let the stove drop a few degrees during the day when we are all gone. With dropping a few degrees during the day and restarting a few hours before coming home I found to reduce pellet consumption quite a bit.

When I leave the stove on medium so far I can keep the basement easily at 72. This has been keeping the upstairs about 67-70 degrees so far. Perhaps once we get below zero I will use the high setting. I have also cut in two closable vents in the cold air return and will turn on the furnace blower to bring the warm air upstairs. Everything is working perfectly and I couldn't be more happy. Part of the reason for the programmable stat is my wife was complaining the bedroom was to warm at night from the heat coming through the floors. Now with setting back to 67 at 10 PM to 4AM all is good there :-)

Thanks for the welcome silverfox103. I'm looking forward to more input. I agree, I need to get the dealer here to look things over as I don't want to be disappointed. Glad to hear you're happy with the Harmon.

KPS513 thanks for mentioning the daylight basement as I have one wall that is studded and insulated. Sounds like things are working for you but I don't have the ductwork as I currently use propane. Is there a door at the top of your stairway? Thanks for the input.

silverfox103 said:
you need to put the pellet stove where you want the heat to be, in your living area. You would be making a huge mistake putting it in the basement, I can't imagine you being happy with the outcome. You can cut holes in the duct work etc. and floor registers, but you're doomed to failure.

I would say that you 'should' (not need) to put the stove where you want the heat to be - this is the status quo, the norm and the most popular recommendation - I strongly agree. With that being said, I would not describe the decision to heat your home from a basement pellet install as 'making a huge mistake & being doomed to failure' because there are just too many factors to consider. Given, the odds might seem against you and you'll surely face many obstacles - there are many members here who successfully heat their entire homes every season 'only' with a basement install. It is a challenge and you will need to do a lot of research and careful planning, but it is definitely feasible - you just need to be realistic and make informed decisions.

I think your on the right track with stove selection (see sig) and it sounds like you already have many factors in your favor: Finished / insulated basement, new home / well insulated, open upstairs floorplan, etc. This topic has been thoroughly discussed already so there is a lot of archive reading you should do, you may want to update the title of the thread to something which will attract more opinions on the subject like "heating home w/basement install" or something?

You should also include some more info such as the total sq. feet you plan on heating, do you have a supplemental / backup heating source?, ceiling fans?, etc.

Thanks VTrider...good idea on updating the thread. Are you burning a lot of pellets with your basement Maxx?

I'm a new member and have read some of the discussions on this topic prior to joining the forum. I am close to purchasing a stove and I’m hoping to get some advice before I take the leap. I really need to make this work from the basement as I just don't have a good spot on the main floor...too many windows. Let me start by explaining my layout. I have a 30 x 54 ranch with a full basement. Basement is finished with 3.5†fiberglass insulation and sheetrock on all walls. This is a daylight basement so one wall is studded, insulated and sheetrocked. No insulation in floor joists. Home is 4 years old and well insulated. My goal is to get the heat to the living area. Based on what I’ve read here, it’s not an ideal set-up but I would like to make it work. The stove will be located in the north east end of the basement about 40’ away from the stairs which are located in the south east end. Living area layout has open kitchen, dining and living room. I would like to get heat to these areas and if some made it to the bedrooms that would be a bonus. I would like to do this without vents and registers but realize it may not work. If need be, I am willing to cut registers in but would most likely go with ductwork from the stove to the registers. Based on the square footage and our climate, I have been looking at the Enviro Maxx or the Harman P68. I’m interested in thoughts on the basement location, moving the hot air to the main floor and the stove's that I'm considering.

This forum has already been very helpful to me so......Thanks to all!

I really think you should reconsider putting the stove on the main floor for the best results, so look here in the Harman P68 manual on page #14, figure #14, for it shows what I believe should work for your purposes no matter how many windows you have.

(broken link removed to http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/P68.pdf)

One of the best things about pellet stoves is that pellet stoves can go almost anywhere if you use OAK (outside air kit), so check carefully the venting distances when using the OAK for you may even have a spot to vent out the back if using the OAK.

I hope this helps,

1D

I agree. For 100% success in heating. Put the stove where you spend your time (upstairs).

Some get it to work from the basement. Lots dont. At least not 100% frre from oil/LP/electric. The units your looking at are large, but getting that heat where you need it, can be hard.

Dexter has a good point, for with the unit on the main floor you could most likely use a smaller unit, and the install should be pretty much the same, but check the install manual for whatever unit you choose.

1D

You house sounds similar to mine except a bit larger. With the stove in the basement you will fair OK in the warmer season, But struggle in the cold. Plus the basement will have to be kept very warm to move the heat upstairs. You will need to play games with fans to move the warm air upstairs. Or start cutting holes for floor vents that still only get marginal heat upstairs.

Stove up stairs works with much less hassles. Or Look into the pellet furnace/boiler route. You'll heat the whole house with the furnace and be free of the current fuel source!

What is your present heat source?

For the price of a Maxx or P-68, you wouldnt be far off from a furnace. Boiler may be a little more if.you heat with a boiler currently.

Otherwise you will need to manipulate the air to get the heat where you want it.

My house is much smaller then yours, but we found a place to fit in the pellet stove on the main floor. We not only get to enjoy the warmth of direct heat, but also the glow of the dancing flames.

VTrider said:
I would say that you 'should' (not need) to put the stove where you want the heat to be - this is the status quo, the norm and the most popular recommendation - I strongly agree. With that being said, I would not describe the decision to heat your home from a basement pellet install as 'making a huge mistake & being doomed to failure' because there are just too many factors to consider. Given, the odds might seem against you and you'll surely face many obstacles - there are many members here who successfully heat their entire homes every season 'only' with a basement install. It is a challenge and you will need to do a lot of research and careful planning, but it is definitely feasible - you just need to be realistic and make informed decisions.

I think your on the right track with stove selection (see sig) and it sounds like you already have many factors in your favor: Finished / insulated basement, new home / well insulated, open upstairs floorplan, etc. This topic has been thoroughly discussed already so there is a lot of archive reading you should do, you may want to update the title of the thread to something which will attract more opinions on the subject like "heating home w/basement install" or something?

You should also include some more info such as the total sq. feet you plan on heating, do you have a supplemental / backup heating source?, ceiling fans?, etc.

Well said, basement installs can work.

As VTrider says make informed decisions.

1Dtml said:
I really think you should reconsider putting the stove on the main floor for the best results, so look here in the Harman P68 manual on page #14, figure #14, for it shows what I believe should work for your purposes no matter how many windows you have.

(broken link removed to http://hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/P68.pdf)

One of the best things about pellet stoves is that pellet stoves can go almost anywhere if you use OAK (outside air kit), so check carefully the venting distances when using the OAK for you may even have a spot to vent out the back if using the OAK.

I hope this helps,

1D

I agree, vertical venting may be the best option if windows are a concern.

The stove can even be placed on an interior wall.

Thanks for all the input...it sounds like my best option is on the main floor. I'm not sure I have a spot which meets the venting requirements (even with OAK) due to the windows. I have a couple of other spots but they would vent to close to my rear deck or front porch. I guess this means I would have to go up through the roof which I was trying to avoid. I'm going to have a dealer come out to be sure I'm not missing anything with a potential main floor install. I was really hoping to make this work from the basement as the lady of the house is really looking forward to warm floors!!

I currently have a propane boiler as my heat source so I have no ductwork in the basement. Looking around the forum over the last month, I've seen several examples of ductwork from the stove to registers. It sounds like that can be sucessful..

Does ductwork from the stove have any negative impact on the stove itself?

starting new, I would check out a furnace/boiler
especially with your house footprint
not sure of the price difference
it is going to be hard to circulate air upstairs

Do you have a ceiling in the basement? I know you said no insulation, but a ceiling will still stop most of the heat from warming the floors.

I have a woodstove in the basement, directly under our Master Bath. I removed the insulation to see how well it would heat the hardwood flooring. Didnt do as well as I thought it would. I ended up putting the insulation back up, because the difference wasn't all that great.

Again, it works better for some, than it does for others. Wont truly know till you do it.

If the basement is insulated and finished, you will have less worries about pipes freezing. I went 3 yrs with no heat in tue basement and not one frozen pipe. Basement still stayed pretty comfortable.

My 2 cents.

Thanks Dexter...No ceiling in the basement. Also, no issues with pipes freezing as it only get down to about 58 on the coldest days of the year...usually around 61 during the winter.

I will take a look at the furnace/boilers ironpony. They must go through some pellets??

jumpingin said:
Thanks Dexter...No ceiling in the basement. Also, no issues with pipes freezing as it only get down to about 58 on the coldest days of the year...usually around 61 during the winter.

I will take a look at the furnace/boilers ironpony. They must go through some pellets??

Do your research carefully.
I went through all this already, and considered wood-coal-pellet boilers as well.
In the end there will be lots to consider, but only you can decide what is best for your needs.
I ended up using a pellet insert for the main floor, and I will be putting a pellet stove in the basement soon, but myself and wife have workshops in the basement.

Any and all solid fuel solutions will require more of a commitment than your current heat supply, but you can decide how much of a commitment with careful selection.

1D

Appreciate your input 1D. To be honest, the variables associated with a stove have been keeping me awake at night...not sure I'm ready to start thinking about boilers...but it's worth a look.

jumpingin said:
Appreciate your input 1D. To be honest, the variables associated with a stove have been keeping me awake at night...not sure I'm ready to start thinking about boilers...but it's worth a look.

Glad to help.
On a slightly different note, if you insulate your basement ceiling it will keep the 1st floor floors warmer than without insulation, for it utilizes the heated upstairs helping to keep the floors warmer.

Good luck and Happy Holidays.
1D

Another possible option for a basement install.

(broken link removed to http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/pellet/eco-65-pellet-stove)

Can use option ductwork.

Just sayin.

jumpingin said:
Thanks VTrider...good idea on updating the thread. Are you burning a lot of pellets with your basement Maxx?

I don't think anybody in New England is burning a lot of pellets so far! Feels like Spring (again) today :(

I started burning mid-October I believe and i'm still under a 1 ton. The Maxx has 5 heat settings and will really chew through pellets on level 4 and 5, I usually have it on 2 or 3 depending on how fast I want to reclaim the heat (it's setup w/thermostat). I almost went with the P68, decided on Enviro due to close dealer support and some other minor factors (hopper size, etc). I would also recommend looking into a pellet furnace if you are considering ducting anyway, I know there are some good info on the Harmons, St. Croix, Endurance, etc.

VTrider-One of the reasons I was looking at the Maxx is because of the larger fan. I still may go that way as it can only help push the air through the ductwork if I go that route. I'm leaning towards the P68 as I like the warranty and the dealer a little better.

Smoke Show- Thanks for the tip on the Drolet as I haven't spent any time looking at those. I didn't realize they had a model pushing those BTU'S. Also, had no idea they had a ductwork kit. I was at a Harmon dealer this weekend and he showed me a cast device that some guy in Vermont is about to introduce to the market. It is designed for the Harmon stoves and attaches where the heat comes out of the stove and accepts a 4"piece of ductwork. I not sure how OEM's feel about stuff like this add-on. Also not sure if it can have any negative effects on the stove.

Thanks for the help!!

The Drolet (Enerzone Eurozone) is a beautiful piece of work. It has 2 blowers for combustion. One before the pot and one after (regular comb blower like all stoves have). The blower before the pot is still slightly less CFM's than the main Combustion blower, so the firebox still has negative pressure. Vert interesting system. There is a SBI worker thats a Forum member (Fyrebug). I have went back and forth through PM's with him about this unit. Bottom feed (like Harman) so its self cleaning. Many other nice features. If you want to know more, send him a PM. Very insightful man.

Plan to go look at tue Eurozone here soon. Nice unit with some HP and the ability to run ducts off of it, make it a contender on my list of new stoves (plan to replace Quad this Spring).

Is there any info out on that Cast piece for the Harman stoves?

Status
Not open for further replies.