Looking for advice on installing backer board

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

confetticake

Jul 5, 2024
Vancouver island, BC
Hello! I'm installing this tiny wood stove in a
camper van and am struggling figuring out how to best build out the wall to support the tile behind the stove. I have a similar steel partition to the one pictured. I have my tile picked out and know I should use cement board as the backing and from what I've read 1" steel spacers behind that. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or recommendations on what they would do. I don't know if I should bolt through the cement board
and steel spaces through the partition to the
other side or have steel tubing to create framing for the cement board to be mounted to. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated! I'm going for a look like in the tile picture attached (that’s the same stove I have as well) with a box underneath for wood storage and the tile going up the wall to partway. Undetermined whether I'll make the underneath box it sits on out of wood or with metal framing but it will have tile and cement board as well. Also willing to take recommendations on adhesives and whatnot for this process if anyone has experience doing something similar in a moving vehicle, it's my first time tiling as well as first time with a wood stove! Thank you for
reading!

Looking for advice on installing backer board Looking for advice on installing backer board

I think you’ll have issues with tile weight on unsupported cement board if you don’t mount it to a frame of sorts.

I think you’ll have issues with tile weight on unsupported cement board if you don’t mount it to a frame of sorts.
Thanks for the reply! That’s definitely my main concern, I really want to make sure it’s super strong. That’s kind of why I started to look at the idea of steel tubing as framing and then I could bolt it to the steel partition and glue it for extra support and then could screw the cement board into that same tubing. I guess I could use just square steel instead if it needs to be stronger and not hollow, would just have to screw from both sides of it instead of one being bolted. Do you think something like that would be strong enough or is there a different way of framing you would recommend?

Thanks for the reply! That’s definitely my main concern, I really want to make sure it’s super strong. That’s kind of why I started to look at the idea of steel tubing as framing and then I could bolt it to the steel partition and glue it for extra support and then could screw the cement board into that same tubing. I guess I could use just square steel instead if it needs to be stronger and not hollow, would just have to screw from both sides of it instead of one being bolted. Do you think something like that would be strong enough or is there a different way of framing you would recommend?
Oops I forgot to add! I was/am a bit confused as I’ve read 1” round steel spacers are what most recommend for behind the backer board so that’s why I was looking at that initially but I just don’t know if that’s going to be strong enough or if I need something extra behind that to help support the weight of the tile. From my understanding they’re small spacers so the heat can escape through those extra air gaps and using metal square tubing as framing would greatly reduce those areas for the air gaps. I’m struggling finding enough support in a way that’s not going to burn my van down haha

Why not just use a diesel heater?

Why not just use a diesel heater?
Or a marine wood stove that is designed for a mobile environment. Personally I think I would use metal sheet on spacers for a heat shield instead of tile. Less weight and more secure.

Reactions: EbS-P
Or a marine wood stove that is designed for a mobile environment. Personally I think I would use metal sheet on spacers for a heat shield instead of tile. Less weight and more secure.

This one I got is specifically made for vans, tiny homes and boats as well so it’s designed for the right environment. They show it a lot with peoples tile heat shields, but they sell metal sheets as their own heat shields. I just really like the tile look and know it’s more weight and more difficult to do, but it’s the aspect I am most excited about so I’m willing to try and make it work. Appreciate the advice though!

Oops I forgot to add! I was/am a bit confused as I’ve read 1” round steel spacers are what most recommend for behind the backer board so that’s why I was looking at that initially but I just don’t know if that’s going to be strong enough or if I need something extra behind that to help support the weight of the tile. From my understanding they’re small spacers so the heat can escape through those extra air gaps and using metal square tubing as framing would greatly reduce those areas for the air gaps. I’m struggling finding enough support in a way that’s not going to burn my van down haha

How about the metal tiles for tin ceilings?