Looking for a stove with long burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmurph2016

May 9, 2019
Mass
After some research I think I’ve decided to pull the trigger on a wood stove! Now I need to find a budget friendly stove that is capable of long ( close to 24 hour) burn times.
It seems from my research that I want a stove with a cat.
Any suggestions on what I should look at?
House is 1500 sqft
Thanks

Last edited:
Budget-friendly and super long burn times maybe be exclusive. What is the budget? Do you already have a proper chimney and wood?

Look into the least expensive Blaze King stove that local dealers have in stock. Maybe you can get a deal on a showroom model, but this is not the time for best pricing. Also look at the basic Woodstock Ideal Steel.

How large an area will this be heating?

Budget-friendly and super long burn times maybe be exclusive. What is the budget? Do you already have a proper chimney and wood?

Look into the least expensive Blaze King stove that local dealers have in stock. Maybe you can get a deal on a showroom model, but this is not the time for best pricing. Also look at the basic Woodstock Ideal Steel.

How large an area will this be heating?
This is obvious not the best time to be doing this but I want to atleast look into it and if I can’t do it this winter I will have it for next winter.
House is about 1500sqft
Not really sure on the budget at the moment
No chimney. It will have to be piped out of the house and then up, unfortunately in the front of the house :(

We need to know how large of an area you want to heat too. The chimney can cost as much or more than the stove.

Pellets don't need a chimney and your burn time can be pretty long.

We need to know how large of an area you want to heat too. The chimney can cost as much or more than the stove.

Pellets don't need a chimney and your burn time can be pretty long.
I need to try to figure out how I can price out the chimney.
I had my mind prettt set on a pellet stove but that won’t work if the power goes out. So then I started leaning towards the wood stoves again. Pellet would be a lot cheaper for the chimney for sure

I had my mind prettt set on a pellet stove but that won’t work if the power goes out.
There is a big difference between buying bags of pellets, and cutting/purchasing, handling, drying, and storing, 10s of 1000s of lbs of cordwood. More information needed.

Reactions: blacktail
Going through the wall is usually more expensive and less effective. I would budget in the $5-6,000 range for everything. About $2500+ for the stove and $25-3,000 for the chimney installation and hearth if this is a 2 story house. Call around for the Blaze King Princess and Sirocco. Ask if they have any old inventory or floor models. Woodstock sells direct. https://woodstove.com/

A good pellet stove can be costly too, but the chimney costs can be a lot less depending on the installation. How long are your power outages?

After some research I think I’ve decided to pull the trigger on a wood stove! Now I need to find a budget friendly stove that is capable of long ( close to 24 hour) burn times.
It seems from my research that I want a stove with a cat.
Any suggestions on what I should look at?
House is 1500 sqft
Thanks
24 hour burn time? You are going to have to look at Blaze King. These are not cheap stoves. Lots of info on this site about Blaze King. There are pros and cons. Many folks on this site like their stoves.

24 hour burn time? You are going to have to look at Blaze King. These are not cheap stoves. Lots of info on this site about Blaze King. There are pros and cons. Many folks on this site like their stoves.
Now that’s I’m thinking about it I don’t need that long of burn times, but certainly 12 plus hour would be best. Not sure why I said 24 hours!

Going through the wall is usually more expensive and less effective. I would budget in the $5-6,000 range for everything. About $2500+ for the stove and $25-3,000 for the chimney installation and hearth if this is a 2 story house. Call around for the Blaze King Princess and Sirocco. Ask if they have any old inventory or floor models. Woodstock sells direct. https://woodstove.com/

A good pellet stove can be costly too, but the chimney costs can be a lot less depending on the installation. How long are your power outages?
First year in this house so not really sure. With a bad snowstorm could be 1-3 days maybe. That’s just a guess. Pricing it out pellet and wood stoves are pretty close to the same. Only option is to go through the wall for either as I don’t have a fireplace and the chimney only has the flue for the Furnace I don’t believe it has another flue

First year in this house so not really sure. With a bad snowstorm could be 1-3 days maybe. That’s just a guess. Pricing it out pellet and wood stoves are pretty close to the same. Only option is to go through the wall for either as I don’t have a fireplace and the chimney only has the flue for the Furnace I don’t believe it has another flue

You can still go straight up with a metal chimney. In fact this is preferred in most cases as far as aethetics and performance. Most people run the chimney through a second floor closet or build a chase (if you have multiple floors).

Do you have access to "free" firewood? If you are considering pellets also look at propane/natural gas free standing stoves. Most work without power and some have thermostats.

You can still go vertical from the stove through the roof. Would look better, work better, and be cheaper.

You can still go straight up with a metal chimney. In fact this is preferred in most cases as far as aethetics and performance. Most people run the chimney through a second floor closet or build a chase (if you have multiple floors).

Do you have access to "free" firewood? If you are considering pellets also look at propane/natural gas free standing stoves. Most work without power and some have thermostats.
Where I want to put the stove and where there chimney is are complete opposite sidedness of the house.
I will be buying firewood.
So it looks like I will have to come out and then up. No way to go up through the second floor and out unfortunately

Last edited by a moderator:
Where I went to put the stove and where there chimney is are complete opposite sidedness of the house.
I will be buying firewood.
So it looks like I will have to come out and then up. No way to go up through the second floor and out unfortunately
I don't think we are being clear, you can go straight up regardless of where your masonry chimney is located. You can put the stove nearly anywhere you want, provided it meets the manufacturer's clearances and you have adequate room for a chimney. https://images.app.goo.gl/HkdM6wYb3DMoZmMW9

The link is an example of one brand of chimney, I just picked that one because it has a good view of what they look like.

I don't think we are being clear, you can go straight up regardless of where your masonry chimney is located. You can put the stove nearly anywhere you want, provided it meets the manufacturer's clearances and you have adequate room for a chimney. https://images.app.goo.gl/HkdM6wYb3DMoZmMW9

The link is an example of one brand of chimney, I just picked that one because it has a good view of what they look like.
I was confused af first but now it makes sense. That would only work if I had a single story house, I have a Colonial so can’t really go up through the ceiling

I was confused af first but now it makes sense. That would only work if I had a single story house, I have a Colonial so can’t really go up through the ceiling
Why not? Just build a chase around the chimney. I would go up with mine, but there's a bathtub right above where I'm placing a stove.

This company has awesome graphics, but I've never heard of them before. Anyway, you could run it up the wall with a chase around it, run it through a closet, or maybe make a closet. There are options regardless.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190915-194007_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190915-194007_Chrome.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 107
Honestly if I were paying money for firewood I'd also look at a coal stove. They have awesome burn times and all the same drawbacks as pellets; dusty, heavy, messy, and a pain to store. If I lived in a place with cheap propane or NG available a freestanding cast iron gas stove would be at the top of my list as well.

Last edited:
It's hard to beat the convenience of gas.

Buying wood is a tough way to save money.

It's hard to beat the convenience of gas.

Buying wood is a tough way to save money.

In my area I think coal comes out the cheapest if you are buying fuel, but I'm pretty remote. Most places probably aren't this way. I've never lived in a place long term that would challenge a heat pump until last year.

In my area I think coal comes out the cheapest if you are buying fuel, but I'm pretty remote. Most places probably aren't this way. I've never lived in a place long term that would challenge a heat pump until last year.
I got 2 Mitsubishi mini splits installed, I am going to try to see how expensive it is to run them to heat the house but I am figuring it will be quite a bit hence why I was looking into the wood stove. Maybe I’ll just play this year out and see how it goes

I am going to try to see how expensive it is to run them to heat the house but I am figuring it will be quite a bit hence why I was looking into the wood stove. Maybe I’ll just play this year out and see how it goes
Burning cordwood is the cheapest fuel to heat with, even if all of the wood is purchased. But with that comes a host of hidden expenses in the form of equipment, labor, and other expenses like space. If your in, then all of that is "fun", and the "work" and aggravation goes to zero. If not, stick with the mini-splits. Or pellets, etc.

Reactions: SpaceBus