Looking for a Smartphone and new service

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
I have a flip phone with Consumer Cellular that's simply starting to wear out, the battery doesn't hold a charge as long, buttons not always working, etc. Service with them has been fine but I don't want or need to use data or go online with the phone, maybe occasionally. I prefer to do that at home on my laptop (yea am 60+). Consumer Cell will move you to the next data plan, $10 more if you exceed the plan you're on. I know I could just turn data off on the phone - but I would occasionally use it as a GPS. I don't want to chance getting a big bill due to data usage. I know I could download maps and use Google Maps offline as I do with my tablet - but have experienced mixed results.

One plan I saw, Tracfone - has a data carryover plan. That looks attractive. Was also considering Net10. One of my sons has used Net10 for years - he only has the $35/mo plans, uses Google Maps and rarely ever runs out of data. I guess you don't run out, it then operates at 2G instead of 4G.

I wonder if anyone here uses Tracfone and what their experiences were. I know there are many consumer reviews online but with most companies most seem to be quite negative. In summary, I'm looking for general low cost non contract recommendations. My company will only reimburse me for half the monthly bill, although I use the phone 99.9% for work. I'd like to stay with the lower data usage plans with unlimited talk/text (I use Google Voice for texting, but also have the messages sent to my phone) around $35/mo. I would trust this forum over comments I find on other sites.

Last edited:
Most phones you can use the setting in the phone to shut the data off for the remainder of your cycle if you are getting close to going over... On another note if your phone is for work use your employer is suppose to supply the phone not the other way around..

I have a Tracfone flip phone that costs about $25.00, and I use their auto refill program which gives you one month of days at a time automatically renewed for about $6.00 per month.

I was using a lot of texts when I was on it, so it didnt work for me, but I'm pretty sure it ran off Verizon's towers.

Unfortunately I'm with a very small company - first got no reimbursement for the cell phone.

I currently text using Google Voice. I have them go to my flip phone, but I respond from a laptop. What's good about that is most who text me use that #, if I get a new phone number I'll just redirect the GV texts to the new one.

I did see that the Net10 auto refill does save some money monthly. I'd consider that.

Checked a local Boost Mobile store today. Didn't recall seeing this online, but the $35/mo plan I was considering is $50 for the first three months, then $35. I've read reviews about deceiving practices. Maybe this is just a local store policy but - on the other hand the Samsung phone I liked for $99.99 would be only $49.99 if you switch from another carrier which would be my case. The salesperson confirmed that - all that's needed is the current account number. But an extra $15 for 3 months it comes out about the same.

Stopped in Dollar General - saw a Total Wireless phone/plan package. Will check that out online. I'm finding it pays to take a ride and go to the stores, which I do anyway for most things after researching online.

Mint Cellular is a T-mobil prepaid MVNO .
Their cheapest rates are buying 6 or 12 months in advance. I think their smallest block is 3 months.
$45, 3 month intro. 3 G data /month

maps.me is a half-way decent map app that you download the map(s) for areas you want or might need a map with no cellular service . I've only used it with phones with gps built in. No traffic or I haven't figured out how to turn it on.

T-mobil has a $3 a month plan with no data and a limited amount of talk and text minutes . It's really hard to find on their web-site.
I considered it when I went back to a flip phone and AT&T and the business paid for it but then i Bought an iphone and switched to T-mobil (works well here ) and their 55+ plan for $60 month/two phones unlimited and works almost world-wide.

I haven't heard of maps.me - will check it out. Downloading maps to use offline is what I'm looking for, I don't know if a smartphone's GPS receiver is as good as a typical standalone GPS unit.

I pay about 62 dollar a year for TracFon and get new one every year. Throw the old one away. 1500 Minutes with Smartphone. HSN or QVC. Minutes Rollover. One year they tripled the 1500 so I have about 3200 and need new phone in Jan. I dont txt or use the data much at all. Good service. Verizon Cell Towers. Makes phone about 5 bucks a month. Been retired since age 42 and don't need lots of talk time. Wife has unlimited with TMobile. She likes Apple's New Toys.

I have had Straight Talk for about 8 years. With their plans, when you use all of your high speed data it throttles your speed. You do not get charged extra. With it throttled, I can check email, but I am not sure how throttling would work with GPS. Now I have the unlimited plan, but I pay for my father-in-laws phone (inexpensive smart phone) who uses very little data. If you get in a pinch you can buy extra data for the month. I have never had an unexpected charge on my bill. The pros are no surprise bill, decent phones to choose from, it uses ATT or verizon networks, and good prices. The downs are no storefront, no tethering, and weak technical support.

Try Tello runs on the sprint network, also sell used phones/recondition phones although you have to go on line to get a manual. Runs me about $50/mo for unlimited everything. I do not have any more trouble with them than any other as far as connectivity to web,phone part itself works as well as any other.

Mint Cellular is a T-mobil prepaid MVNO .
Their cheapest rates are buying 6 or 12 months in advance. I think their smallest block is 3 months.
$45, 3 month intro. 3 G data /month

I'll second Mint, my wife and daughter use it and have no problems outside of spotty service in outlying areas. We prepay for the year which drops it to $15/month.

I use Google FI which runs anywhere between $25-30 for me depending on data usage, the less data the less you pay, both have options for purchasing a phone through them.

If it were me I'd drop $100 on a refurbished Pixel and pick up the 2 year warranty for $20.
Amazon product ASIN B072N3GKSM

Thanks for the information and reviews. As expected, they're more detailed and informative than other sources, I do like the idea of not having an additional charge by using for data. What's good about Consumer Cellular (what I have now) in one way is bad for me in another. For talking, when I had the 250 min/month plan they'd move you to unlimited if you went over for $5 more. Same with data, I'd probably get 2g/month to just use Google Maps (I'd first try downloading maps and using it with data off) but that may not be enough. They'll move you to the next 10g I think it is for $10. I don't want to pay and extra $10 or $20 for data, I'd rather just operate at lower speeds like Straight Talk and other carriers do . So - I may move to another carrier. As long as it would still work using the GPS at lower speeds that would be fine.

I only use the cellphone for work, unfortunately I'm only reimbursed half so I have to deal with that. I much prefer to talk on my home phone. It's analog, but internet based (Ooma). Being in the business years ago I wired the and installed phones so there's always one nearby. I don't want to carry a smartphone with me when I'm home. I know at this point most do instead of having landlines. I don't text much either, but of course the kids do. It is nice getting pictures of the grandkids on my pc via Google Voice. I suppose it'll be nice having them on a phone to show others. A picture on a flip phone doesn't quite cut it,

One thing I like about Tracfone is unused data will carry over to the next month. Total Wireless will if you purchase more for $10.

Last edited:

Get the bottom one and it's 60 bucks. Or only $5.00 per month. Min and Data roll over next year on new throw away phone. If you want bigger screen it's 10 dollars more (above links)

We went from Verizon to Cricket last year...half price...so far the service has been the same...at least here in Ohio...been out of state a few times and it was fine there too. Satisfied customer...

now when y'all talk about rates y'all are I assuming talking about paying for your phones and usage being credit carded or come out of your Bank acts. CORECT? I want NOTHING taken out of our funds automatically. But we all know the day is coming when thee will be NO CASH.. I prefer the saying "cash is King" when Im buying say groceries etc. otherwise for reg bills like utilities and insurance etc pay by mail with checks. Yeah they all try to entice us with discount for automatic withdrawals. "THEY can keep their "discounts" the more re relinquish incrementally our rights and freedoms the sooner we will be like China and be punished with various ways by saying "jaywalking" buying say too many "junk foods" etc.
I do neither.... I pay cash at say a Rite Aid or Walgreens and buy say $100 worth of minutes card that roll over to next yr unused minutes as long as I renew with say another cash$100 card.... and I can call from my landline and apply that new $100 of minutes. to my little prepaid flip phone
I have had the same Simms card for yrs. and prob don't use 30 minutes a year....In other words PREPAY only. I don't Anna be bothered when driving etc. Im lucky enough to walk or drive a straight path while concentrating on such like driving. My little phone stays off somewhere in bottom o my big old purse. there is no such thing as multi tasking in reality.
and doesn't "trac Phone" means what it says/// Its our own personal tracking us device. LOL
So I guess I will remain a SMARTER person with a"dumb phone".I rather be a the Smart One . WE get too out smarted as it is in life. LOL thanks y'all

I did a ton of searching and you won't get anything cheaper than Mint. Prepaid for a year it's $15/month, 3GB of 4g per month, unlimited slower data, unlimited talk/text.
I gotta check out Mint. Saw it a few times when looking but didn't check details.
+ other links....

Get the bottom one and it's 60 bucks. Or only $5.00 per month. Min and Data roll over next year on new throw away phone. If you want bigger screen it's 10 dollars more (above links)

Thanks for the info. I like the roll over feature.

Just chatted with a Net10 rep - their data doesn't expire, moves to 2G when the limit is reached. According to the rep, Google Maps would not work at 2G, Also stated you can't access the internet at 2G. I wonder then, what would 2G be useful for, pictures with texts maybe? Knowing that makes me want to search for unlimited, if what was stated is true.

now when y'all talk about rates y'all are I assuming talking about paying for your phones and usage being credit carded or come out of your Bank acts. CORECT? ...

No - I pay online manually. If I was retired I'd probably use my flip phone less than an hour a year. If I have to pay for unlimited or a lot of data for the Smartphone GPS I may just buy a new GPS to replace mine that' s starting to have trouble. I have no need/desire to go on the internet when I'm out and about. When working, I'll use the company laptop. Off hours, it can wait until I get home.

I gotta check out Mint. Saw it a few times when looking but didn't check details.

Thanks for the info. I like the roll over feature.

Just chatted with a Net10 rep - their data doesn't expire, moves to 2G when the limit is reached. According to the rep, Google Maps would not work at 2G, Also stated you can't access the internet at 2G. I wonder then, what would 2G be useful for, pictures with texts maybe? Knowing that makes me want to search for unlimited, if what was stated is true.

Machine to machine communications, it's enough bandwidth for trackers that keep a tab on kids and pets. It's not just old phones that get impacted by shutting old network equipment down. The "internet" works on 2g, it's just painfully, painfully slow. Downloading a short video clip that might take a few seconds on LTE could take hours on 2G. The average person just wouldn't wait for it.

Lost electricity Wednesday night for 36 hours - internet restored in about 48. Started the wood stove for the first time this season.

If 2G would work using a navigation app that would be fine for me, but I've heard even that would be slow with 2G. I'd first try downloading regional maps to use with data off. I won't be downloading or streaming any videos with a Smartphone.