Looking For A Sander/Spreader

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We're looking for a sander/spreader for our tractor, the 3 pt is 31 hp. Something with a poly hopper/tub or something we can sand the driveway that we can pull behind the rhino.

Any ideas on different makes or models would help.

Last edited:
Ebay list some as well as amazon, northern tool, tractor supply and various attachment companies and snow plow co. ect. most of the3 point units are apx $500 to start. what ever you do do not leave material in it as either sand or salt or a mix will absorb humidity and become a frozen lump pdq. damp sand or salt or mix is greatly aided by the addition of a vibrator ( think Leprechaun with a hammer bashing the side of the bucket) keeping the material from hanging up. Biggest pia is when we would get salt/sand in bags that was damp, it would jam up the units so you were constantly taking a stick or something to shovel the material down to the auger.. Buyer's might make a 3 point unit, I do not know if Western or Boss or Snoway do. Westerns parent company bought Sno-X a couple years back so I do not know what might still be in that line either. Some are electric driven some are available with Pto drive. There used to be a couple that were ground driven - don't recommend those. the seed spreader types will be ok with sand and fine salt but will not work with coarse rock salt ( unless specifically designed for it). Did snow clearing for 20 + years so have a bit of background . With the spinner types you need to fabricate a good sized shield for the back of the tractor/Rihno otherwise everything is going to be coated in what ever material you are applying as the fines tend float everywhere. Sand / salt neither is good for bearings / seals. There are a couple units designed to mount in a 2" receiver hitch - they do require some additional straps as well .

In about a week and a half I'm picking up my tractor and I don't know if a 3pt spreader or a truck spreader would be easier to deal with. I plan on having a 3pt snow blower, so I'm thinking a truck mounted spreader would be easier so I'm not swapping tools all the time. I also feel like the 3pt spreader is probably easier to use in the real world.

In about a week and a half I'm picking up my tractor and I don't know if a 3pt spreader or a truck spreader would be easier to deal with. I plan on having a 3pt snow blower, so I'm thinking a truck mounted spreader would be easier so I'm not swapping tools all the time. I also feel like the 3pt spreader is probably easier to use in the real world.
If we get a sander for the UTV, it's because we have chains for the rhino. If we do go with one for the tractor, I'll need chains for the back tires.

Reactions: Hammy
If we get a sander for the UTV, it's because we have chains for the rhino. If we do go with one for the tractor, I'll need chains for the back tires.

I'm getting chains for the tractor without a doubt. The dealer offered to fill them with beet juice, but I feel like chains will be sufficient. A utv spreader might be a good compromise.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I'm getting chains for the tractor without a doubt. The dealer offered to fill them with beet juice, but I feel like chains will be sufficient. A utv spreader might be a good compromise.
Hopefully you get your tractor before the two Nor'easters hit your area. :)
1200px-Early_January_2018_Nor%27easter_2018-01-04_1345Z.jpg

Just getting you going but last year we did have three Nor'easters in March.

Yes, the lady said that at the bank today! All of my funds will clear by next Friday, so that's when I'll be getting the beast. After all this ice we've had this year, I'm glad you made this post about spreaders. I have no idea what I'm doing ;lol

Yes, the lady said that at the bank today! All of my funds will clear by next Friday, so that's when I'll be getting the beast. After all this ice we've had this year, I'm glad you made this post about spreaders. I have no idea what I'm doing ;lol
Are they installing a block heater on your tractor?

If you're considering a UTV mounted one, take a look at the drop spreaders. You'll get more material on the driveway and less out it the yard than with a spinner.
We bought this over 15 years ago when I panted grass seed on our yard after the house was built, it was undercover but the moisture got to it but the insides look good. I put air in the tires so we'll see how they are tomorrow.

I did get a price on a sander for the 3 point hitch, we'll see if this works.
101_2267.JPG

Attachments

• 101_2268.JPG
    101_2268.JPG
    667.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 101_2269.JPG
    101_2269.JPG
    567.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 101_2270.JPG
    101_2270.JPG
    610.5 KB · Views: 174
That's nice but we don't want to spend that kind of money. The one I posted above won't spread sand according to the website.

We might order one tomorrow once we get more info, it will be for the 3 point on our tractor.

Understandable, it's a lot of cash for a single purpose piece of equipment.

I'm shopping for a plow for my work Kubota 1100 and I'm stuck between a plow that'll "work" for $2kish or one that'll exceed expectations at $3.5k

I guess it all depends on how big your driveway is. I was thinking something like this.

https://www.storksplows.com/new-snowex-6-cu-ft-drop-pro-salt-spreader-sd-600.html

Will it also spread sand? I have a super steep driveway that gets coated in ice every thaw cycle and I'd like a better system than buckets and scoops. A push spreader won't work because the hill is steep and slick. I'll be picking up a tractor next weekend, so a 3 pt spreader has been considered, but I'll primarily be using a snowblower on the back. It seems like a pain to swap implements like that. I don't have a UTV yet, but I'd like to get one eventually, however I do have a ram 3500 4x4 that will be getting a set of v bar chains. We don't like using a lot of salt since it wrecks the soil, but we mix it into our sand so it doesn't freeze solid. Most spreaders I see are only for salt. I feel like something with an auger is required for my purposes.

I've lived in the south, or places without much snow, most of my life and I am experiencing my first winter in coastal Maine. The mountains of Afghanistan are easier than this I feel! Thankfully I was finally able to get a snowblower yesterday and it has already been a lifesaver, they put the chains on at the dealer and brought it to my house. The locals here weren't exaggerating when they told me and my wife this would be a lifestyle change.

Will it also spread sand? I have a super steep driveway that gets coated in ice every thaw cycle and I'd like a better system than buckets and scoops. A push spreader won't work because the hill is steep and slick. I'll be picking up a tractor next weekend, so a 3 pt spreader has been considered, but I'll primarily be using a snowblower on the back. It seems like a pain to swap implements like that. I don't have a UTV yet, but I'd like to get one eventually, however I do have a ram 3500 4x4 that will be getting a set of v bar chains. We don't like using a lot of salt since it wrecks the soil, but we mix it into our sand so it doesn't freeze solid. Most spreaders I see are only for salt. I feel like something with an auger is required for my purposes.

I've lived in the south, or places without much snow, most of my life and I am experiencing my first winter in coastal Maine. The mountains of Afghanistan are easier than this I feel! Thankfully I was finally able to get a snowblower yesterday and it has already been a lifesaver, they put the chains on at the dealer and brought it to my house. The locals here weren't exaggerating when they told me and my wife this would be a lifestyle change.

Snowex says it will, I know our guys on campus do a mix but it's more salt than sand.
https://www.snowexproducts.com/product/drop-pro/

Maybe I should get the saws ready, hopefully this forecast changes for the better.
her-bsp.s3.amazonaws.com%2F2f%2F3f%2F0a96087d43adb2637990e4b994f3%2Fhigh-winds-midwest-northeast.jpg

Maybe I should get the saws ready, hopefully this forecast changes for the better.
View attachment 241214

Your part of the world has been getting more snow than I've ever seen. Despite the ice, I feel like we've gotten pretty lucky for our first winter so far north. I've never lived in a place like this. Afghanistan was cold and snowy, but I didn't have to deal with the snow. I'm just glad I was able to get a snowblower for what's happening right now. Seems like we will exceed the 4-6" AccuWeather forecasted.

Attachments

• 20190221_123524.jpg
    20190221_123524.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 20190220_162751.jpg
    20190220_162751.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 153
Your part of the world has been getting more snow than I've ever seen. Despite the ice, I feel like we've gotten pretty lucky for our first winter so far north. I've never lived in a place like this. Afghanistan was cold and snowy, but I didn't have to deal with the snow. I'm just glad I was able to get a snowblower for what's happening right now. Seems like we will exceed the 4-6" AccuWeather forecasted.
Very nice snowblower, there nice to have.

Getting back to your tractor, did you or are you getting a battery maintainer?

Very nice snowblower, there nice to have.

Getting back to your tractor, did you or are you getting a battery maintainer?

I only have one exterior outlet, and it's not in a convenient location, but I can make it work. I doubt it will sit for long periods of time, but I'll definitely get a tender just in case. My old landlord had tons of issues with his battery because he didn't use his tractor very often. Usually I'm the one that used it.

Truck salter- depends on budget but boss, sno-ex/ western./ fisher, buyers and few others all make a reciever hitch type unit good for about 200 ( perhaps more) pounds of material. might be able to find something on Cl or the facebook pages - it is also getting to be time for dealers to start trying to unload stock -end of season approaching. now if you have a bucket on the front of the tractor and a little creative thinking -you could put one up there. think reciever hitch on quick attach plate = salter mount. There are some very small spreaders for use on the atv's. i had an earth way for a bit worked ok but just to small for my use. Reasonably priced. ( I was doing commercial accounts running through 2 or more pallets of bagged de-icer per outing) again though you have to be aware of the granular size of your material to be spread. sand and fine salt should be ok- coarse road salt will just jam up on a lot of the ATV units and a bunch of the walk/ pull behinds as well. Units that are ground driven skip too much on ice or packed snow, particularly after they are 1/2 empty. ( 20 years of snow and ice removal- commercial) The real good walk behind units are priced right up there with the small truck mount units- corrosion from de-icing materials is the down fall of the inexpensive units unless you wash them out/off and spray down with something like wd-40 after each use.

Reactions: SpaceBus
This is southwest of us about 1:30 hours, hopefully we won't get it.
.HIGH WIND WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH
MONDAY MORNING...

* LOCATIONS...Niagara, Orleans, Monroe, Jefferson, Erie,
Genesee, and Chautauqua counties.

* TIMING...From early Sunday morning through early Monday
morning.

* WINDS...West 35 to 45 mph with gusts up to 75 mph.

* IMPACTS...Strong wind gusts will bring down numerous trees and
power lines and result in widespread power outages. Power may
be out for several days in some areas. Shallow rooted pines will
be particularly vulnerable. Property damage is also possible,
especially to roofs and siding. Buildings under construction and
old deteriorating buildings may be damaged significantly.
Travel in high profile vehicles will be very difficult at times,
and empty tractor trailers may be in danger of being blown off
the road.

We bought a sander for our tractor from our local Mahindra dealer, it was more money but they'll hook it up and make sure the pto shaft is the correct length.

We bought the Pro 180, ours doesn't have the lights.
http://jswoodhouse.com/brochures/SD P-Pro Sand-Salt Spdr.pdf

We were going to purchase one from everything attachments (Jeremy was very easy to work with) but this afternoon I remembered seeing a pto sander at our Mahindra dealer the last time I was there so I called, he had one left.