Looking for a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Magoo0512

Jul 18, 2016
Western ny
With all the help of the many great people here was able to install a free-standing jotul f3cb last year, built a hearth, put in a new stainless liner Etc and got everything set up. Everything turned out great and now I'm addicted! Enjoyed the fire and collecting wood so much as well as the nice dent that I put into my heating bill. So now I'm thinking possibly of going with a bigger stove that can handle heating the house majority of the time through the winter. It's a two story 1800 square feet open floor plan. Trying to figure out what my best option would be that rear vents and would fit underneath a 27 1/2" lintel. So far I'm thinking the f500 with the short leg kit. Believe that should drop me down to 26 and a quarter at the top of the pipe. Has anyone ever cut down the legs on that stove seeing it's allowed to go down two inches or would that be a No-No for insurance. Would think it would be fine as long as you can make it look nice seeing they offer a short leg kit. Everywhere I look for that leg kit seems to be close to about 200 bucks. Any other ideas or stoves would be welcomed Thanks!

I'm not sure about the height of a Progress Hybrid with the short leg kit but it would easily heat your home. Also, is your setup such that you would need a front loading woodstove? If so, the PH would not work.

Wow, not sure why a short leg kit from Jotul would cost that much, we sell the Matte Black for about 85 dollars, enamels around 110-120. The Oslo sounds like the ideal stove to move up to, if you liked your F3, you will love the F500. Long burn time, big heater, long pieces of wood, an all around all win stove.

The Jotul F500 would be a nice heater with the short leg kit. Will it fit on the hearth?

Sounds like the f500 is good among the consensus it was what I liked most myself. It will fit on the Hearth front to back and as well side the side for clearances but thinking now I will not have enough width on the hearth to have 18 in outside of the side door. how much of a pain is it to use and load from the front versus side. I read on here that some people have issues with rear venting stoves in using the front door although my application with the f3cb I had to put a damper in as well. my chimney liner is straight-up 25ft with the only bend being the one between the back of the stove at the tee snout. I did see the stove in Albany but it need multiple parts baffle, top plate and insulation blanket I think. stovelark what's the name of your place I may be calling you for those legs if I end up finding the stove. Thanks everyone!

If I lived a little closer to Albany I would scoop that Oslo up and through some new gaskets a baffle and insulation blanket on it and flip it for $1000-$1200
Good luck to you in whatever choice you make!

Anyone have any ideas on how I could extend the width of a hearth from its original In order to accommodate a stove using a side door? other than scrapping it and starting from scratch

If the hearth is wide enough to fully support the stove and elevated then a hearth extension board at floor level might work. Can you post a picture of the current hearth?

Reactions: toddnic
Yes the Hearth is wide enough to support the f500 but once it's on there I'll be left with probably about 11 to 12 inches to the side of the hearth versus the necessary 18 for the side door. How bad is using the front door? if I do an extension on the side doesn't it have to be continuous one piece with the Hearth. there is a slight gap between the tile on the side and the floor could slide a piece of sheet metal underneath it and then lay a hearth extension on top of that possibly? will try to post a pic. thanks for your help

Hi Magoo, have been away on vacation, just got back today. The Oslo as a front loader (east/west loading) to most people isn't as good as a side loader, one of its main attributes. I work at a store call Preston Trading Post, here in SE Ct. The store also has an online purchasing website at stoveworld.com Let us know if we can help. I'd suggest somehow extending the side hearth to utilize the side door, longer pieces of wood, easy to load etc. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the info. Will definitely give you call if I end up with oslo. Was wondering if I put a piece of sheet metal under the tile on the side of hearth then made an extension with durarock and tile to lay over that would it suffice. Sheet metal would be a barrier to where ext. and hearth butt up to each other

Actually, if the bottom heat shield is in place, the Oslo only needs ember protection, any non combustible material. Extending with sheet metal would suffice for hearty protection. Just make sure the bottom heat shield (its underneath, mounts to the ash pan housing with 2 10 screws) is indeed there.