Log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A log splitter is an engine powered Hydraulic ram used to push a log (16,18 ,other length)
against a wedge to make it smaller so it drys faster and then you use the split wood in a fire
place or a wood stove or a wood fired furnace to heat your home so you do not freeze your
ass off People who live in cold places do this to keep warm in winter . Yo Know places like
the Northern USA , Canada
Note there are no dumb questions just dumb answers

Or it can be the person who swings the maul (a wedge on a stick).

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus
The splitter question is difficult. It makes life as a wood burner much easier, but it cuts out of the money saved by burning wood. My body can no longer put up with hand splitting, but many on this forum do.

Generally for the original cost and maintenance over a 10-20 year life span. it is peanuts compared to repair of a rotator cuff or other body parts.

Generally for the original cost and maintenance over a 10-20 year life span. it is peanuts compared to repair of a rotator cuff or other body parts.
Indeed, and if well cared for, the splitter will have decent resale value.

www.google.com, for your first question.

As to why it is needed, that is entirely dependent on the physical condition and ambition of the proposed wood burner. It’s a heck of a lot easier on the body than swinging a splitting maul or wedge and sledge, when you are processing enough wood to actually heat your home, but it’s also a lot less exercise and fun.

I find I"m just as sore after using a splitter as I am using a maul. I just get more wood split with the splitter per time invested.

I find I"m just as sore after using a splitter as I am using a maul. I just get more wood split with the splitter per time invested.

You must be doing it wrong. [emoji14]

I split about 25 cords over the course of two years with a maul, switching to sledge and wedge for the stubborn ones, and developed some serious shoulder problems as a result of it all. I broke down and bought a splitter, after too much apprehension over giving up the joy of hand splitting. It took several more years before my shoulders and elbows stopped bothering me after a hard day’s work, as a result of all the maul or sledge and wedge splitting I had done in those first few years, but I seem to be mostly healed, now.

Reactions: semipro
or making multiple visits to the practioners of the black arts

X2
and Elm is a bas***d to split at the best of times

White oak ain’t much better.

4c452f71d720040785390941b904df87.jpg 8a52db0b55b2edad2db3adb9b7bba695.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tamarack--for the most part one wop and a pop. Not many splitters used in this area. I always thought it would be more work lifting the round onto the splitter than it was worth, but for something like bull pine I'm probably wrong.

Tamarack--for the most part one wop and a pop. Not many splitters used in this area. I always thought it would be more work lifting the round onto the splitter than it was worth, but for something like bull pine I'm probably wrong.

What’s bull pine?!?

I love these local terms. We have “piss oak”, which I believe others call “swamp oak”, I’m not sure of the proper latin name.

Reactions: SpaceBus
What’s bull pine?!?

I love these local terms. We have “piss oak”, which I believe others call “swamp oak”, I’m not sure of the proper latin name.
Ponderosa pine. We have piss elm. Some days it can feel like rain if you are standing under one.

Piss oak gets its name from the smell it gives off when cut or split. Has a hint of urine to its bouquet.

You obviously don't have bad shoulders then. I split about 6 rounds for a fire when camping and then couldn't lift my arm for about 2 weeks.

Reactions: johneh