Log Splitter moves slow in 1 direction.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Edrrt

Nov 19, 2019
Sonoma
One of my splitters just started moving slow forward after bogging down on a twisty piece of firewood. It's a 2 stage pump. If it moves slow only in one direction is that indicative of anything? I'm trying to figure out where to start. It might be worth noting that the pump is an eBay special. Although it did work okay for about a cord until now.

Pump stuck in the hi pressure low volume mode or the valve is messed up perhaps. with pump it should be slow in both directions. generally if it was a seal in the cylinder again slow both ways. need to install gauge to get pressure readings to isolate problem.

Which direction is slow?
Its possible the pump coupler is compromised in some way too...

Which direction is slow?
Its possible the pump coupler is compromised in some way too...
Only forward is slow. Reverse is fine. I can't imagine it would be the Lovejoy coupler, because the pump should be spinning at the same speed regardless of whether it's going forwards or backwards.

only way it would go slow in one direction is if something is messed up in the valve , or the line to the rear of the cylinder is kinked, partly crushed. I suppose it is possible to have a leak in the ram seal inside the cylinder- generally that would make it slow both ways though. splicing a gauge into each line in turn would quickly isolate the culprit.

Does it build pressure when going forward (still split wood)? Also, is the return speed normal, not just faster than out, but normal or has it also slowed down some?