Little box question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WinniNH

Jan 31, 2015
Nh
This is probably a dump question but Google doesn't have the answer since I don't know what it is called.

Tradional wood fire place, has a wood box to the right. On the left about chest high there is a little compartment with a cast iron door. At first I thought maybe it is a built in oven or something but it is not connected to the flue. It is brick on all 5 sides and the cast iron door on the other.

What is the point of this?

This is probably a dump question but Google doesn't have the answer since I don't know what it is called.

Tradional wood fire place, has a wood box to the right. On the left about chest high there is a little compartment with a cast iron door. At first I thought maybe it is a built in oven or something but it is not connected to the flue. It is brick on all 5 sides and the cast iron door on the other.

What is the point of this?
Pics might help

Reactions: Das Jugghead
Sorry also bad pic

Attachments

• Little box question
    Screenshot_20200301-171146_Chrome.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 172
Does it warm up like maybe to rise dough or bake?

Reactions: Mech e
That's not an old fashioned fireplace, it's a new construction monstrosity. It's only been burned a couple times (possibly because the first owners moved out to go live in a warm house where the air wasn't grey).

The faux oven is probably for storing extra "ambiance" in.

Might be just cosmetic. Are there any unknown handles or levers in the fireplace?

Last edited:
That's not an old fashioned fireplace, it's a new construction monstrosity. It's only been burned a couple times (possibly because the first owners moved out to go live in a warm house where the air wasn't grey).

The faux oven is probably for storing extra "ambiance" in.
That has been used quite a bit and there are still lots of bread ovens built. I don't know if that one is functional or not but it is possible

It's probably for proofing bread. You'd need serious heat (like full bore 24/7) to be able to bake anything in there. Or....
It's for incinerating secret government documents, just add coals.

It's probably for proofing bread. You'd need serious heat (like full bore 24/7) to be able to bake anything in there. Or....
It's for incinerating secret government documents, just add coals.
I have seen a few that had a bypass to divert the exhaust around an oven on the side like that. One even worked. But I would need to poke around to actually figure anything out

I have seen a few that had a bypass to divert the exhaust around an oven on the side like that. One even worked. But I would need to poke around to actually figure anything out
Yes, that's why I asked if there are any handles or levers in the fireplace that they don't know about.

Reactions: bholler