Liner temp differential

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all I normally get my flue temps with the cover piece on there is a little gap I can shoot my ir gun through. But the weather sucks today so I have been watching and learning my stove. I removed the cove or trim piece off the top and have been checking temps. I the spot I normally check is the right hand side of the photo above the UL sticker . On the liner above the collar. But I noticed if I check the top of the liner the temps differ around 20- 50 degrees. What the most accurate location. It's hard to judge cause by the sticker will be 300 but then top will be 250 and I don't know were to go

Attachments

• Liner temp differential
    20200111_134237.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 63
Also thank you for all the help I have received from this site. I'm sorry for alot of the dumb questions I ask I tend to over think things way to much. Lol

Flue gases often swirl up the pipe. This could just be a characteristic of how the flue gases leave the flue collar. It really doesn't matter that much. The temp readings are relative to your installation. Plus or minus 20º is not going to change much. Go by the fire and your observations. Let the stove teach you.