Liner size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

swe13

Sep 27, 2017
Sycamore, IL
I am installing an insert in my existing firebox. It has a 13" clay liner which I am inserting an insulated liner.
My question is- I have a new 7" insulated liner (was free, minus some labor helping neighbor) The insert has a 6" opening. Will I be ok using the 7" liner or am I asking for problems? The same 6" liner is over $1,400, so obviously would like to use the 7".
Thanks in advance for your thoughts/experiences

I am installing an insert in my existing firebox. It has a 13" clay liner which I am inserting an insulated liner.
My question is- I have a new 7" insulated liner (was free, minus some labor helping neighbor) The insert has a 6" opening. Will I be ok using the 7" liner or am I asking for problems? The same 6" liner is over $1,400, so obviously would like to use the 7".
Thanks in advance for your thoughts/experiences
How tall is your chimney? What stove is it for?

Would restricting the top with a 6" reducer help or just create problems?
Restricting to 6 won't do anything. 6 would probably give you more draft anyway.

So what are your thoughts if I just put a 6"liner inside the 7" ? Then I'd still have the insulating value from the 7", and could pick up just the 6" liner for under $150 instead of $1400 for insulated 6"

So what are your thoughts if I just put a 6"liner inside the 7" ? Then I'd still have the insulating value from the 7", and could pick up just the 6" liner for under $150 instead of $1400 for insulated 6"
Personally I would try it on the 7" and see how it works