Liner questions and recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

john84

Oct 22, 2013
Mass
I currently have a flex liner installed in my exterior chimney approximately 25-30 feet. Due to being a newbie when it was installed a few years ago I do not know the brand or specs on it. I am in the process of buying a new stove to replace my Encore,(f55 or quad explorer) and want to do this 100% this time around. So for my questions should I buy insulation wrap for my current liner? Install roxul to the top plate and just above my block off plate? Or bite the bullet and buy a new liner? Any opinions would be appreciated.

6 inch liner. Honestly I will have to measure the size of the flue. I believe it's big enough for an insulated liner. The house is only 5 years old so it should all be in good condition.

I would look to see if you've have room to fit Insulation. If you do, pull it out and insulate it then throw bit back down I don't be see a reason why to not to reuse it

I was hoping to be able to do that. Any recommendations on a quality insulation? Is it recommended to bring the insulation all the way to the block off plate?

Thanks

Looks like they have what you need. Double check the masonry chimney throat size to be sure you have at least 8+" clear for the insulated 6" liner.

I plan to remove my block off plate this weekend to make sure everything looks like it will work. Is it recommended to also insulate just above the block off?

I obviously have to pull my liner to insulate, like I said before I do not know the brand, thickness, etc of the liner....

Is there anything I should look for besides the obvious like splits in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.