Liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Louis

Oct 21, 2018
Ocean County, NJ
Before I get my head tore off for this question, this is hypothetical and just something I've pondered about..

I will be doing a 6" chimney liner in my mason chimney.. my thought was would it be possible to use black stove pipe riveted together ( just as you would with a rigid chimney liner ) from the crock up to the last terracotta clay liner of the chimney then cap from there.

Obviously you would still need some normal liner pieces like the t snout and liner brace for the top.. but whats the difference going this route vs a chimney liner? does the SS liner heat better promoting better draft over black stove pipe.. ? Laws and regulations enforced to not be able to use the stove pipe hence why its not done?

Was just curious about it and the expense aspect is the only reason why it got me thinking of it.

Thank you.

Before I get my head tore off for this question, this is hypothetical and just something I've pondered about..

I will be doing a 6" chimney liner in my mason chimney.. my thought was would it be possible to use black stove pipe riveted together ( just as you would with a rigid chimney liner ) from the crock up to the last terracotta clay liner of the chimney then cap from there.

Obviously you would still need some normal liner pieces like the t snout and liner brace for the top.. but whats the difference going this route vs a chimney liner? does the SS liner heat better promoting better draft over black stove pipe.. ? Laws and regulations enforced to not be able to use the stove pipe hence why its not done?

Was just curious about it and the expense aspect is the only reason why it got me thinking of it.

Thank you.
You need stainless because black pipe will be rusted away within a year or two.

Reactions: Louis
Stainless won’t rust, it is resistant to the chemicals in the flue gases, and it can handle higher temperatures in case of a chimney fire. Black pipe is only used for connecting a stove to a chimney, never to line a chimney. Stainless costs more, but it’s an investment in safety.

Thank you.
The technical reason you can't do it is because Code says that you must use a U.L. listed lining system when relining a chimney. There are no listed lining systems made of galvanized black stovepipe. Bholler provided the most practical reason.

Understood! Thank you all for the reply’s. I agree the best answer is simply that the stove pipe will rust and SS won’t. Also in the event of a chimney fire the SS would hold up better as well.. thank you. Stuff I didn’t think of.