Liner Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kruger

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2008
SE Wyoming
Hi Folks,
Just bought a PE Summit Insert for my new house. Wanted to buy another Osburn 2400 but it was just a tiny bit too big for the place. I'm purchasing a liner and couldn't remember what I installed a number of years ago on the other place.

I need some help. Obviously I'm insulating and know I need 6" x 20'. But, are there certain brands to stay away from? I'm looking at a RockFlex .006 316SS from Rockford. Is .006 ok? Should I be going .012? This will go into a well build clay lined brick chimney so clearances isn't an issue. Sorry if this is a question that's been answered 100 times. I did search for about 15-20 minutes without much direct information. I also hope this isn't a "what brand of oil should I buy" can of worms.... :)

Thanks,
Aaron

Hi Folks,
Just bought a PE Summit Insert for my new house. Wanted to buy another Osburn 2400 but it was just a tiny bit too big for the place. I'm purchasing a liner and couldn't remember what I installed a number of years ago on the other place.
I need some help. Obviously I'm insulating and know I need 6" x 20'. But, are there certain brands to stay away from? I'm looking at a RockFlex .006 316SS from Rockford. Is .006 ok? Should I be going .012? This will go into a well build clay lined brick chimney so clearances isn't an issue. Sorry if this is a question that's been answered 100 times. I did search for about 15-20 minutes without much direct information. I also hope this isn't a "what brand of oil should I buy" can of worms.... :)

Thanks,
Aaron
The thinwall stuff (.006) will work fine. But the heavywall stuff is easier to clean much harder to damage and will last much longer. And for wood you really only need 304. 316 will work fine but it is a much more expensive alloy

Aaron

As bholler mentioned the standard 316ti liner will do just fine. A couple of questions you will probable be asked is the actual flue size opening inside your chimney, since you want to insulate, that will add about 1.5" making the liner about 7.75".
Also there may be some discussion on the damper area, on the removal of the door and possibly a portion of the damper frame, to get the liner through.
Also, if you have clay liners, do they stick up above the top of the chimney, if they do they may suggest a different style of top plate - Terra Cotta style, that bolts on.

Ok, that's helpful. Thanks. I will probably take a angle grinder with a cut wheel and just remove the flue door and frame all together. Worst case, I may have to leave some uninsulated pipe to get through the opening. From my looking around, it seems most of the 304L is a bit more expensive than the 316ti. The 304 I'm finding is typically branded as heavy-duty, while the 316 is "easy" or "super" flexible single wall. I thought I paid about $400 for an insulated liner in 2009 but now it seems I won't pay less than around $700.

I've noticed that everyone sells the 316 stainless liners but 304, not as many.
Also I forgot to mention, the 1/2" insulation is sold in 25' lengths, although Rockford had 10' 15' or 25' kits listed and they show a 10% discount - so that is way below the $700 figure, with 15' Insulation - $530
If you did 15', I'd probably leave it un-insulated in the bottom area, since the pipe is hotter there.

I've noticed that everyone sells the 316 stainless liners but 304, not as many.
Also I forgot to mention, the 1/2" insulation is sold in 25' lengths, although Rockford had 10' 15' or 25' kits listed and they show a 10% discount - so that is way below the $700 figure, with 15' Insulation - $530
If you did 15', I'd probably leave it un-insulated in the bottom area, since the pipe is hotter there.
Yes hotter and therefor more danger from heat transfer to adjacet combustibles. Especially in the smoke chamber wher clearances are many times the worst.

The flue liner is infrastructure. If you heat 24/7 with wood, go for the thicker liner. It will cost more initially but it will be tougher and last longer.

Reactions: bholler
And by thicker wall do you mean two-ply, smooth stuff? Or something like the Flex King HD?
I almost pulled the trigger on the FlexKing Pro (I think what I purchased years ago, scoured my email and couldn't find the invoice) but then found this thread. I remember the same issues on a tight bend with mine.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/flex-king-pro.122292/page-2

Now I'm reconsidering. I was looking at the 304L Champion from Woodland but they don't sell 20', only 25'+. So I'm a bit stuck.

Some folks on here are pretty outspoken about NOT going with a two-ply liner.

Go with the xtra 5', better too much, then not enough. No insulation from the smoke chamber down is fine if there are no combustibles close by. 304 is plenty, and insulate whatever you use. If you have a large flue, pre-insulated double wall rigid is another option, with a 5' section of flex at the bottom to get through the smoke shelf and down onto the stove. Double rigid is great in certain circumstances. If using flex, the consensus is sturdy single wall. For the few extra bucks and piece of mind, & safety factor vs the a few bucks less, I know which way I'd go. Wood burning in my world is one place to go overkill, rather than skimp or get by.

Reactions: bholler
Yes hotter and therefor more danger from heat transfer to adjacet combustibles. Especially in the smoke chamber wher clearances are many times the worst.

So you're saying to not insulate the bottom area of the liner? Isn't common for people to insulate the smoke chamber and above the block off plate?

So you're saying to not insulate the bottom area of the liner? Isn't common for people to insulate the smoke chamber and above the block off plate?
No i am saying that is a very important area to insulate