Liner choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mercurydollar

Jan 12, 2018
Indianapolis
Looking to get a flexible pre insulated liner. Wonder which liner to choose as there many choices. Smooth wall or corrugated?Also where is the cheapest places to find them.

Looking to get a flexible pre insulated liner. Wonder which liner to choose as there many choices. Smooth wall or corrugated?Also where is the cheapest places to find them.
Not 2 ply smoothwall. It is junk. Midweight or heavywall are both smooth wall and are very durable. But even plain old light wall is much more durable than the 2 ply crap.

What brand should I go with? 316? 304?
Those are not brands they are alloys. And for wood all you need is 304. 316 will be fine but it is a more expensive alloy and is not needed if it is for wood only

I guess I’m not understanding what you mean by 2 ply. I’ve looked at champion brand and forever flex. Both are 316
Both of them are the same liner made by olympia chimney. And neither are 2ply they are regular lightwall liners

I'm guessing the reason your not going to get a straight answer is because there are forum sponsors that sell liners and to be fair to everyone they cant sound biased, so other members will need to help you.

This is just a guess, so don't shoot the messenger _g

Last edited:
If properly installed.
I guessing the reason your not going to get a straight answer is because there are forum sponsors that sell liners and to be fair to everyone they cant sound biased, so other members will need to help you.

Sorry, thought that was fairly straightforward. I'll ad this: The product is great. I use it often but not exclusively. But it still has to be installed properly.

Reactions: bholler
I guessing the reason your not going to get a straight answer is because there are forum sponsors that sell liners and to be fair to everyone they cant sound biased, so other members will need to help you.

What was wrong with 'if properly installed?' Actually seemed to fit quite well and a fairly straight answer, especially after seeing the back & forth about the insulation rip in that other thread.

Are there member posters in this thread that are liner selling sponsors?

Is Olympia liner an ok brand to use for any wood burning stove insert in a terra cotta lined chimney?
We use olympia liner for almost all of our wood stove liners. We use theor armor flex or hybrid liners though not their lightwall forever flex

Reactions: Squisher
Not to be rude mark8 but I don't think the thanks was for your info. Your previous post in this thread didn't contribute any info and unless someone could show me otherwise seems off base and unsubstantiated.

I've never noticed any bias here due to advertising.

Not to be rude mark8 but I don't think the thanks was for your info. Your previous post in this thread didn't contribute any info and unless someone could show me otherwise seems off base and unsubstantiated.

I've never noticed any bias here due to advertising.

The OP will ask a serious question, he will receive one line riddles, I will stir the pot, people will get flustered and complete the riddle, and the op gets his answer.;lol

You guys need to lighten up;)lol

Last edited:
The OP will ask a serious question, he will receive one line riddles, I'll will stir the pot, people will get flustered and complete the riddle, and the op gets his answer.;lol

I am sorry but i think it is you who needs to lighten up. Both me and homeinpa are professionals who come here to offer our knowledge and assistance when we can. But we have buisnesses with paying customers to take care of also so sometimes our responses will be short and to the point. On my first post i clearlyspelled out the liners i recomended and the ones i think should be avoided. Homeinpa clearly responeded to the question about olympia products by saying they are good if installed correctly.

The OP will ask a serious question, he will receive one line riddles, I'll will stir the pot, people will get flustered and complete the riddle, and the op gets his answer.;lol

Please point out the one line riddles.

Squisher is a pro as well didnt mean to leave him out

Reactions: black smoke signals
I'm guessing the reason your not going to get a straight answer is because there are forum sponsors that sell liners and to be fair to everyone they cant sound biased, so other members will need to help you.

I would like to add i am in no way associated with this site or any manufacturer. I have nothing to gain by posting here other than the knowledge i have gained from other posters through the years.

Squisher is a pro as well didnt mean to leave him out

While I appreciate the nod I am still a relatively new sweep so am here to learn and help out a bit where I can. I'm a very confident cleaner but vastly inexperienced with installing compared to a lot of the pros that participate. I appreciate the info coming from everyone who participates here.

That's the only reason I questioned your post mark8. It seemed to imply there were some posting here with an ulterior motive and to my knowledge that's just not the case. We all just really like wood burning systems and burning wood. It's all good.

Reactions: Mark8
While I appreciate the nod I am still a relatively new sweep so am here to learn and help out a bit where I can. I'm a very confident cleaner but vastly inexperienced with installing compared to a lot of the pros that participate. I appreciate the info coming from everyone who participates here.

That's the only reason I questioned your post mark8. It seemed to imply there were some posting here with an ulterior motive and to my knowledge that's just not the case. We all just really like wood burning systems and burning wood. It's all good.

I didn't take anything you said to heart,it's all in good fun, I'm a easy going kind of guy:cool: I hope people new I was clearly joking. Just like me saying your welcome when I clearly gave no help. When I said I'm guessing people can't respond to the liner question, I wasn't implying there was any alternative motive, usually out of courtesy owners and moderators of a forum usually won't take sides about competing sponsors, that was my point, I wasn't referring to all the rest of the four members. Unfortunately how you word things can be taken out of context. That's why the smiley faces are at the bottom to show emotions==c

Thanks for all your help Squisher I appreciate it;)

Reactions: Squisher