Lennox See-thru ZC Fireplace - What are my options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadrise

Hearth Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Eastern Virginia
I have a Lennox LS43ST Magna-Fire ZC fireplace in my house. It has a 13" round metal flue. This is the huge 43" See Through woodburning type that produces no heat, and probably sucks in heated air from my house like a jet engine. I have it placed in the end of my living room of about 600 s.f. with a vaulted ceiling. The fireplace also adjoins my foyer of about 250 s.f.

I'd like to install an insert into this log-beast, but I'm undecided on my best options. I do have a propane tank and line run to the firebox in place, but I don't want to spend a fortune in propane every month. I have access to cheap or free firewood, so another woodburner is a possibility. I am also interested in a pellet stove. I've found a few wood burning inserts that could work, Quadrafire 2700i, Regency CI1200, Lopi Republic 1250. Looks like they are all designed to go into a ZC box.

It seems like most pellet insets will work in a ZC, or am I missing something?

What do I do to the non-insert side, plate it off? With a 13" flue, could I run another appliance on the other side in the same opening?

Anyone have this fireplace or could recommend what I could do?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Chris
Saluda, Va

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Lennox See-thru ZC Fireplace - What are my options?
    fireplace.webp
    97.1 KB · Views: 289
Status
Not open for further replies.