Learning to burn my new Alderlea T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

M1SF1T

Jun 11, 2024
Van Isle
I was starting to confuse people in another thread I started earlier this year regarding a BK Princess needing replacement.

We installed a new PE Alderlea T6 about a month ago. I thought I had better start a new thread in the PE sub for my questions as I look to get the most out of this stove.

Here's my stove.
[Hearth.com] Learning to burn my new Alderlea T6

We are heating a 2600sqft house on Northern Vancouver Island.

During the cleaning and install for the new stove we also noted some deficiencies in our old 5" liner and connection and last week had the 5" steel liner and the ceramic liner in our masonry chimney removed and a new 6" steel liner with clean out and 7" through wall connector installed in it's place.

I had done a couple weeks of burns prior to the new chimney, but I notice with the new 6" and additional draft I think I'm getting a shorter burn time.

I've read about covering the EBO air holes and last night I decided to trial it covering the EBO holes with aluminum tape.

At 21:30 I loaded a 85% load of large splits of doug fir and medium splits of maple on a bed of coals, dialed the air back slowly and let it fully flame up before shutting off the air entirely. I may have waited too long. STT was 750 when I went to bed around 11.

8:30 am this morning the stove is cruising along with STT at 300 and a still 30%+ load of large full log coals in fire box. I opened up the air and the stove flashed back up. STT was up to 475 at 9:15, back down to 400 at 11:20, still lots of large coals.

I suspect this isn't ideal burning overnight at that temp in this Alderlea stove, the glass did get pretty dirty, although I do like the 14 hour burn.

Anyway, I'll keep playing with it, I appreciate any recommendations and experience anyone can share in helping me get the most out of my stove.

Get a flue gas temperature probe and run it based on that. I like my Auber AT200 as it has a high temp alarm. I have found it much easier to learn a new stove when I can always see what the flue gas temps are. Stove top temps react slowly and you you end up on turning down soon enough then turn it down too far. All of this can happen in 5 minutes when you can see the changes nearly instantly.

I strongly recommend not altering the stove in any way at first. There is a learning curve that one needs to get over. Modifying the stove can lead to tail chasing if the fault lies elsewhere.

How tall is the 6" liner that the stove is connected to?

Link to old thread here:

It sounds like the firewood is dry. Doug Fir starts pretty quickly. One very common problem is not turning down the air soon enough. The flue temperature is much more important for good operation than the stove top temperature reading. That is a lagging indicator. To help better run the stove, get a probe thermometer for the stovepipe. A digital one is the best option. Here is some guidance running the T6 burning Doug Fir.

Thanks for the comments.

After going out the wall, the straight run of 6" liner is probably 20-24'.

I thought I had been shutting down the air soon for the most part, but I'll try starting earlier. I realize it's best not to guess and get a more accurate sensor, but if I can get a process that works for me without running wires I'm inclined to hold off.

I'll check out that thread too.