Leaking Door Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zmak

Nov 23, 2013
east coast
I have a englander nc30. I recently checked for air leaking from gasket with the bill test, it failed. I replaced the gasket with a gasket from the englander store and installed as directed. I am still able to pull the bill from the top and bottom easier than I should, the door has no adjustments and as stated the gasket is from the englander store 3/8 in high density. The hinge and latch side pass the bill test. Any help on solving this and troubleshooting is appreciated. Is it possible to have air flow out from the gasket, I understand the air will be drawn in due to draft.

3/8 is too small. That stuff is at least 1/2". But what's the problem? I find the stove to be very controllable and as a non-cat it's far from an air tight stove. You have no less than three holes in that stove that are always at full throttle leaking air into the firebox at the top of the stove and from the doghouse at the bottom.

You don't even need to close the door!

Attachments

• Leaking Door Gasket
    barnstove.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 149
3/8 is too small. That stuff is at least 1/2". But what's the problem? I find the stove to be very controllable and as a non-cat it's far from an air tight stove. You have no less than three holes in that stove that are always at full throttle leaking air into the firebox at the top of the stove and from the doghouse at the bottom.

You don't even need to close the door![/QU

Sorry, I am using 5/8 inch high density, just seems to easy to pull out the bill. I never did check the door from new and just recently found out about this dollar bill test. The original gasket failed so I assumed it went bad.

Sorry, I am using 5/8 inch high density, just seems to easy to pull out the bill. I never did check the door from new and just recently found out about this dollar bill test. The original gasket failed so I assumed it went bad.
There's a groove for the gasket? You could put extra in the groove where the gasket isn't tight, to hold the gasket higher--gasket cement, high-temp silicone or a blob of thicker furnace cement to provide firmness, topped with the runnier gasket cement? I don't know what would work best but I'm sure there's a way to compensate...

No key damper needed but hot keys! Chukkas? You mean my Georgia boot Romeos? Love them.

Reactions: Woody Stover

Take a straight edge (like a ruler) and place it against the door and against the stove to see if either is warped.

Status
Not open for further replies.