leak in domestic loop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jj2003

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2010
southern ohio
my domestic loop inside my taylor just sprung a leak and over flowed my stove , is there any way of fixing this , or is there a homemade deal i could replace in with ? i just dont want to spend the 300.00 to replace it thanks for the help ,,,,,,,,,,,,,has anyone ever made one before????????

What kind of access do you have? If this is a copper coil that you can remove, it should be a piece of cake to fix it by soldering up the hole. If the copper is corroded with pinholes you probably will have more holes real soon, so other options might be considered.

Post some pictures and we'll tell you all kinds of crazy things to try.

if it is copper, Harris -15 will fix it, just need a hot torch, no cleaning required.

there's a 5 inch port hole that the whole unit pulls out of I'll take it out in the morning and post some pics I appricate the help...

joe2003 said:
hot torch , no cleaning ??

MAINTENANCE ALLOYS

HARRIS 15 BARE & HARRIS 15 FC
Low fuming bronze alloy for torch

Procedure:
Clean braze area
Remove all rust, oil and grease
Heavy sections should be beveled
The alloy should applied by a brazing technique with a neutral flame
When applying the bare rod, use a neutral flame with HARRIS 600 flux
Flux residue should be removed by wire brushing with hot water

let be be clear, it's not like silver solder that has to have perfect conditions. I have used Harris -15 for 25 years in the refrigeration game. done thousands of joints. Ya need to scrape of the big pieces if you want, when the copper is heated to a red hot condition the surface conditions self clean and the Harris-15 can be applied, it flows like honey and you will never get a small leak with it, it's either a big hole or no leak, this is unlike silver solder or 95/5, 50/50 etc. Just trying to help.

i apriciate all the help where do you get that from ? i still havnt got the loop out yet ill get it pulled out tomorrow and get a pic posted thanks again

Joe. The Harris stuff works great and I too have used it many times. It is however a brazing alloy and hitting it with a propane torch is not going to do the trick. You might get it with a really good multi burner Mapp gas torch but your best bet is acetylene. You should be able to pick the stuff up at a welding supply or a refrigeration supply house. You ain't gonna find it at Lowes or HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.