Leaf blower clean out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
1st time attaching a video to a post! I should have hooked my 3 in. Flex hose to the outlet. I did blacken the siding a bit

Attachments

• 465D1FFF-0D4D-411F-A2CF-332A3F8D7BCA.MOV
    14 MB · Views: 264
not sure if I uploaded video right. Seems like you have to download it to see it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Post your video to YouTube first and then just put the link to the video in your posts. You can watch it without downloading it then. Also I take my Shop-Vac and I just stick the nozzle in which is about four feet from outside and suck it into vac probably once a month in the heating season

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

See if this works?

I love cleaning my pellet stove this way...for an even cleaner stove, I hit the inside of mine with the air compressor wile the leaf blower is running...its amazing how much soot comes out this way.

Opening and closing the door while the leaf blower is on helps, the change in pressure will loosen soot in various places...my advice would be to experiment with different things that you might think would help...and yeah that looks like a good blower...I modified mine with 4" pvc pipe for an air tight fit and also duct tape the pvc to the exhaust pipe. The only real safety would be glasses and make sure its pointed away from anyone/anything you don't want blasted...have fun, its pretty cool to watch ;)

Be cautious about leaving the door shut, it could damage the vacuum switch diaphragm.

Be cautious about leaving the door shut, it could damage the vacuum switch diaphragm.
I leave my door open to make sure I dont hurt vac switch. They close at around .15 IWC I dont know how much vac it puts on the fire box. maybe I will unhook my switch and hook up a manometer next time and see.

after 6 years I did that and nothing came out. I did clean the stove first. what I do is take the stove out on the deck open everything and use a back pack leaf blower on every opening. it looked like Mt saint helen. and that was after I used the vacuum blower from the outside like the guy in the video

looks like a great method. what i do because i have some length to my duravent pipe is detach a portion inside the house, use my shop vac blower and stuff rags in the vent around the vac pipe and that does a great job blowing it out. i go outside while it is on and lightly tap the pipe with a rubber mallet to break loose some more hardened stuff. might be more effort because i dissamble a little but i know its 100% clean coming out of the stove and as good as i can get it with the blower for the exterior pipe. also i do use a pipe brush on whatever i can get to. worth the effort to do twice a winter and in the spring for a nice clean burn