Last question- I hope-lighter weight concrete top of chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MBG2003

Jan 18, 2018
Central Florida
The second fireplace is missing the concrete 'cover'- a 4" thick ~ 28" x45" concrete slab is covering top of other chimney, sitting on top of 4 bricks 'towers' at each corner. Previous owners destroyed most of house literally. I cannot imagine getting a full weight concrete slab up there let alone wrestling it in place (female here!). Is there any lighter weight material that looks like concrete or mixed with concrete ready made for this? Other than renting some sort of 'cherry picker' type lift from rental company I cannot see any other way to get it up there! Thx!

When I fixed up my chimney and chimney cap, I hauled bags of mortar and cement and a garden hose up there, and mixed small amounts as needed in a 5 gallon bucket, using a long-suffering corded drill and a squirrel cage paddle. Just keep going until the form's full!

Make a s.s., copper, or any other metal cap for it, install, done.
Trash the old concrete cap, you can leave the brick pillars if you wish, and if they are in good shape, you may be able to mount the new metal cap to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen and dBrad
Yes, that. ^ A stainless steel pan is all you need. The spark arrestor/cap will connect to that and you're done. It'll probably weigh less than 5lbs. But for goodness sake, get someone to do that for you - for someone that knows what they're doing it's a 15min job.

Guys he is not talking about a crown he is talking about a top cover.

And i would not put it back go with a stainless cap. It is much easier to maintain

And i would not put it back go with a stainless cap. It is much easier to maintain
Oh yeeeaaaahhhh........duh<>.

Remove the concrete slab, remove the brick pillars and either pour a concrete crown or install stainless chase cover and put a chimney cap(s) on it.

You guys are too much fun!! And this is the 'she' part of Ed and Steve (Edwina)! Both of us have had back surgeries- me, several due to broken neck and back, S just worn out - that is why I was asking about something 'lighter'. Yes- this last question is just about capping off the second fireplace which has an 'electric' fireplace in it now. As far as mixing cement on the roof- for the big 'cover'- nada- neither of us can haul concrete bags up there.The saga continues.

You guys are too much fun!! And this is the 'she' part of Ed and Steve (Edwina)! Both of us have had back surgeries- me, several due to broken neck and back, S just worn out - that is why I was asking about something 'lighter'. Yes- this last question is just about capping off the second fireplace which has an 'electric' fireplace in it now. As far as mixing cement on the roof- for the big 'cover'- nada- neither of us can haul concrete bags up there.The saga continues.
Ya' know, and I'm just thinking out loud here but....I'll bet there is someone down there who could do this for you at a reasonable rate. Maybe??

We used to cast them on the ground with wire mesh for reinforcing in 2 pieces. Let them cure a week then haul them up and grout the seam. Concrete caps look nice but are no fun to replace. An SS cap can be made to fit. Replacing caps or a wash usually will require some brickwork on the upper coarses due to age.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's exactly what I was talking about, although I should have been more clear. I'll fix my post.

Thanks bholler- I might remove the three bricks on each corner and put a simple cap- one that would allow air to circulate in humid Florida. I am concerned tho that because the other chimney has the cement top that it would look out of place. I do want to sell this house in next year or so want everything correct/working. This house was supposedly 'comepletely remodeled' by owner/realtor/flipper- DID have house inspected prepurchase but realized how bad/not to code about a week after moved in. Went to lawyer who said I could get my money returned if acted immediately. Found out that day family member had possible terminal illness. Had to take care of her immediately for next 14 months before died- what a mess unbelievable mess/liar both realtor/flipper and inspection company was... It has been a bad dream since..

Thanks bholler- I might remove the three bricks on each corner and put a simple cap- one that would allow air to circulate in humid Florida. I am concerned tho that because the other chimney has the cement top that it would look out of place. I do want to sell this house in next year or so want everything correct/working. This house was supposedly 'comepletely remodeled' by owner/realtor/flipper- DID have house inspected prepurchase but realized how bad/not to code about a week after moved in. Went to lawyer who said I could get my money returned if acted immediately. Found out that day family member had possible terminal illness. Had to take care of her immediately for next 14 months before died- what a mess unbelievable mess/liar both realtor/flipper and inspection company was... It has been a bad dream since..
If they actually lied check your state law. They can be in lots of trouble. And you can sue them.