Large Red Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike M.

Feeling the Heat
Mar 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
Finishing up on this tree that was hanging over my cabin. 390XP came in extremely handy with 28in bar. The tree guy I hired did a great job, no damage to the property.

f53ad31ecb6a879c989042d99576f4f6.jpg 29a00625b555148d6f67b30a3209b37c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it worked out well. I got done bucking the firewood this morning. Now just have to deal with a huge brush pile. The tree had some significant rot so it was time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I see you are in Green Bay Wisconsin. I tell you what, now remember, I have always liked the Packers, just watched Bart Starr win the Ice Bowl the other day on ESPN.
How about you load up a 6 ton dump truck with that oak and run it down here to my place in Marshall NC?
What would you charge for that?

I see you are in Green Bay Wisconsin. I tell you what, now remember, I have always liked the Packers, just watched Bart Starr win the Ice Bowl the other day on ESPN.
How about you load up a 6 ton dump truck with that oak and run it down here to my place in Marshall NC?
What would you charge for that?
Ha ha, we live about an hour south of Green Bay and our cabin is about one hour north of Green Bay. My wife is getting sick of winters so not sure how much longer we will be up here but either way I am keeping the cabin! Nothing better than the Wisconsin north woods.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mike, if you don't mind me asking, do you cover the red oak for drying? A buddy is a tree surgeon, and tells me the biggest difference between white and red oak is that white's capillaries are filled with a waxy substance, and the red's are open. That's why oak is so weather resistant, while we'll find red oak start to rot after 2-4 months of being on the ground. Just wondering about someone else's opinion. Thanks! Curt

Mike, if you don't mind me asking, do you cover the red oak for drying? A buddy is a tree surgeon, and tells me the biggest difference between white and red oak is that white's capillaries are filled with a waxy substance, and the red's are open. That's why oak is so weather resistant, while we'll find red oak start to rot after 2-4 months of being on the ground. Just wondering about someone else's opinion. Thanks! Curt

I did not cover any of the wood yet but it is all off the ground. After splitting we will top cover. The red oak seems to last much longer than soft maple here which rots pretty fast no matter what you do with it. I like to season the maple 12-18 months and the oak 24+ months. The maple wood has a better smell...

Looks like a lot of straight grain without any limbs. My woods are mostly white oak and rock oak. The biggest rock oak rounds split easily. Nice to have a splitter for the white, because it's stringy. The red i've had, split easily. I wait to split, a few months, until I see a few drying splits on the ends.