Large fireplace opening, need insert recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kirkintheup

Mar 18, 2018
Bootjack, mi
I’m new to this forum. Recently purchased a large 1930s log home in the UP. There is a large central fireplace with a 55” wide opening and I’m looking for an insert recommendation. I have zero experience with inserts. I enjoy regular fireplace fire viewing so I want to get the largest viewing area but get some of the heating benefits of an insert. I want to have a nice finished look and I’m concerned about the overall width relative to the insert. I would appreciate any feedback to get both the best view and the most heat. I have a propane furnace but would like to run it less often....what units should I consider? What’s the best value considering price of insert, view and heat? Thanks much!

Welcome. Before making any suggestions it would be helpful to know the full dimensions of the fireplace's firebox, top and bottom, front and back including depth. Secondly, is there a combustible mantel? If so clearances need to be taken into account.

How large an area would the insert be heating? Is the fireplace room in an open floor plan? Are there very high ceilings in the fireplace room?

Pictures of the full fireplace and room can be helpful. Are there any good stove shops in your area that you prefer to work with?

Welcome. Before making any suggestions it would be helpful to know the full dimensions of the fireplace's firebox, top and bottom, front and back including depth. Secondly, is there a combustible mantel? If so clearances need to be taken into account.

How large an area would the insert be heating? Is the fireplace room in an open floor plan? Are there very high ceilings in the fireplace room?

Pictures of the full fireplace and room can be helpful. Are there any good stove shops in your area that you prefer to work with?

Excellent questions and unfortunately I’m out of town and can’t immediately provide all the specific dimensions and pictures. I will do so as soon as I return. The room is approximately 20 x 40 with 8 foot ceilings. This is the living and dining room. There is a family room with a separate freestanding fireplace. The kitchen, laundry room and a bathroom are also on the main floor. Upstairs there are 4 bedrooms and a bathroom with electric heat. There isn’t any ducting in the 1930s log home for the hot air propane furnace that heats the main floor only. The electric heat upstairs is fine, just expensive and would love to solve it. The log cabin is 2700 total square feet.

Mantel: There is a large quartered birch tree with bark and definitely combustible, scorched bark....presently there’s an ugly gas insert, very small, with giant antique brass trim. I don’t have any idea when a fire was last burned in the fireplace. I had a company come in and they inspected the brick and recommended some repairs. They told me to put in an insert for efficiency. At the time I was disappointed because I like large fireplaces but after refilling my propane tanks I recognize it makes sense so I want to move forward with a model that gives me as large a viewing area as possible with the heating benefits. I will get the depth and height dimensions, distance to mantel and pics.

Thanks much!

Sounds interesting. We'll need fireplace dimensions, but if this is a big fireplace and reasonably deep then a large 3 cu ft wood insert should work. Is the kitchen area open to the LR and DR? Is the stairwell open to the LR area too?

My wife grew up in an early 30's log inn of similar description. It was made out of chestnut from trees that died from the chestnut blight hitting at that time. It is a beautiful place. I installed a large forced air heating system for the owner that bought the place. Upstairs I used a chain saw in a couple places in order to open up a space for duct runs in the kneewalls. It was a big system. We tied in the return plenum from inside the duct work.