Lack of heat performance. Timberwolf EP122

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ironterp

Jan 2, 2018
Maryland
Hello. I'm new to wood stoves and new to the forum here but have done a lot of reading and research on here and other places.
We previously had a ventless gas insert that would heat my 2000 sq. ft. house very effectively but something was causing it to burn our eyes and put off a strong odor so we decided to replace it with a wood stove insert.
We have the Timberwolf EP122 that was professionally installed with a insulated liner. The fireplace is centrally located on the main floor and is rated to heat 2000 sq. ft. but we are not getting anywhere near that type of performance out of it. It will barely heat the living room where it is much less the rest of the house. I am burning oak that had been seasoned for 2 years. The draft seems to be fine, fires start easily, the glass stays clean, and the stove top temp consistently stays 350-550 degrees. Any suggestions? Also there seems to be a lot of residual in the morning for example. Large chunks of coal remain and the layer of ash builds up to the point where it almost needs to be removed every day.

I will bet that it is your wood. Oak takes a long time to season. I usually wait at least three years after it has been split and stacked. If I want to use it in three years I also split it a little smaller. I have had small rounds that still sizzle after three years of aging. Try to get some scrap 2x4s and see how they do.

Large chunks of wood remaining as coal often means either it's not getting enough air (not as likely based on your clean glass) or the wood isn't as seasoned as it should be . . .

My guess would be the wood . . . but just for fun, please describe how you burn. One common factor I've seen time and time again here are folks either starting fresh or even who have used older woodstoves often equate the air control to a gas pedal . . . they think if they want less heat they should close the air control and if they want more heat they should give the fire more air . . . when in actuality this is almost the reverse of what one wants to do if the goal is getting heat in the home.