La Nordica Milly leaking black liquid from oven side legs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Morso1bo

Burning Hunk
Mar 6, 2011
western new hampshire
Hi, I have finished breaking in my new stove and I am finding that it can still leave puddles of black liquid around oven side legs. I figured it was a cold flue since I am not burning the stove over night, so I have let stove pipe get warm before engaging the oven. This seemed to work this morning. Tonight I let it go for well over an hour warming the flue and I noticed drips from legs (around a tablespoon) Perhaps enough heat leaked around bypass and got to oven walls to create this. The wood was cut and split last winter and stacked in covered wood shed in April. Any thoughts as to what I should do? Thanks!

Have you called Obadiah's? I think one of the employees has one in their house.

What species of wood? Some wood takes a while to dry.
Even if the wood isn't that dry the stove should not leak creo into the living space. Something is installed improperly or the stove has an issue.

It's something to watch, but I wouldn't panic. Some Jotuls also do this when breaking in. Theory is that it is moisture being driven out of the bricks and sealing. Our Castine did it, but it only happened during break-in. Once the stove had been taken up to full temp it stopped. Ask Obadiah what they think.

The problem seems to have stopped. I have been running it hotter with the oven getting up to 400 plus degrees I believe the materials that insulate the oven were giving off the moisture, and have now thoroughly “cured”. I’ll call Obadiahs just the same just to run it by them. I’ll keep you posted!

I just Spoke to Obadhias and they were very helpful even though I did not purchase the stove from them. She seemed to think it could be from the stove being run to low during break in or wood that was not sufficiently dry. I emailed the fella where I bought the stove about this issue and never heard back from him. He had been great about answering questions up until this point. Now that the stove is running at higher temperatures the problem has stopped.

I bet it was moisture from the firebrick and other new materials. I’ve seen the same from new cast iron stoves. Glad to hear, sounds like you’re fully “cured” :)

The oven works very well, much more even temp then I expected. I cooked a small turkey in It and it worked great. I’ve also made ginger snaps and am going to try bread today. I’ll keep you posted as It requires a 450 degree oven.

Reactions: Rhodie and SpaceBus
Just managed a loaf of bread from the stove

Attachments

• La Nordica Milly leaking black liquid from oven side legs
    27F9F9F8-1BCC-44D0-A948-095134039324.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 117
I just Spoke to Obadhias and they were very helpful even though I did not purchase the stove from them. She seemed to think it could be from the stove being run to low during break in or wood that was not sufficiently dry. I emailed the fella where I bought the stove about this issue and never heard back from him. He had been great about answering questions up until this point. Now that the stove is running at higher temperatures the problem has stopped.
Very good, that is what I suspected. Thanks for the update and enjoy the baking!

Reactions: Morso1bo