Kuma model to replace Dutchwest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

janice_m14

Dec 15, 2022
Vermont
I've appreciated all of the advice on this forum, and now I'm looking for some specific thoughts. We bought a house that came with a Vermont Castings Dutchwest 2478 that needs replacing. We used the stove for a year, but we've been told it's reached its end of life. Plus we're doing some other repairs (chimney liner etc), so now is the right time to replace it.

Our stove is and will be in the basement of our typical ranch house built in 2007. We seem to have decent insulation. Each floor of the house is 1500 sq ft. Especially with a floor vent and the basement door open, the Dutchwest did a good job of heating things up--sometimes too good of a job, in that I'd close the bedroom door and/or open the bedroom window so we weren't too hot for sleeping. (We were utter newbies to wood stoves, but I'm pretty sure we never overfired it since we used a stovetop thermometer, and nothing ever glowed.)

We've done a ton of research and have settled on getting Kuma for our new stove. So we're just deciding between the Aspen and Ashwood models. Square footage-wise, the Ashwood makes more sense, but as far as I understand, the Dutchwest was a 40k BTU stove, and it was more than adequate.

At first, the sales guy recommended the Ashwood based on square footage alone. But once we told him about our experience with the Dutchwest and he saw our setup and basement insulation, he thinks the Aspen will make more sense. We even followed up and told him we were leaning toward changing our order to the Ashwood, and he still recommended the Aspen. (We have to at least appreciate he's not trying to upsell unnecessarily.)

We just don't want to go too small. (I've definitely read out here how you can burn smaller/cooler in a too-large stove, but you can't do anything about a too-small stove.) But we also don't want to get something that's too large, that we'll essentially be planning to run cool. We also like that the Ashwood takes 18" logs, while the Aspen only takes 16".

I'd love to hear the thoughts of the more experienced folks here.

Reactions: GG Woody
Both will work. One may loaf until it gets below 30 or 20º outside. The other will work harder and need more frequent loading in very cold weather.

Thanks. We're in Vermont. Last winter was pretty mild, but we'll definitely get cold. I've seen posts that say not to use a wood stove until it's pretty cold out (like below 40, maybe 30) because cold temps outside make for better draft. Is that true?

(The guy who will install our stove said he has no concerns about our flue/chimney since it will have decent length after a couple elbows.)

As a cat stove user I would definitely recommend the larger Kuma. You're trying to decide between a 1.8 CF and a 2.5 CF stove and even the largest one is only rated by Kuma to heat 2800 SF. Even the larger 2.5 Kuma is still really small and 3000 SF is a lot in VT. Honestly, I wish Kuma still made large stoves because they are a well respected company with awesome test results.

I had my hands on and in one last weekend. They are a low/wide stove so don't feel very large. The firebox volume may even include the area above the baffle that is unusable, I don't know, these are not large stoves.

For reference I use a 2.9 cubic foot princess in 1700 SF home in a much more moderate climate. You can turn a good cat stove down to burn at a lower rate.

I have the Aspen in my sub 1200 square foot very well insulated home and it works great. Generally I don't need to load it up fully for a 8 hour run until temps get in the teens. Mine seems to be an easy breather so if you have a long flue it may be worth a damper. I don't think you could go wrong either way but if doing a reload at 7 hours vs 9-10 would be a huge deal breaker you could go bigger.

I have the Aspen in my sub 1200 square foot very well insulated home and it works great. Generally I don't need to load it up fully for a 8 hour run until temps get in the teens. Mine seems to be an easy breather so if you have a long flue it may be worth a damper. I don't think you could go wrong either way but if doing a reload at 7 hours vs 9-10 would be a huge deal breaker you could go bigger.
Thanks - I tried to contact you directly since I saw in another thread that you have an Aspen. (I also happen to be from Wisconsin, but living in Vermont.) Can you describe your setup a little more? Are your 1200 square feet all on one floor with the stove on the same floor?

Since we'll be heating our 1500 square foot main floor from a stove in the unfinished basement of the same size, I just don't want to go too small. (But we also fear we could regret going bigger though since the sales guy seems pretty sure the Aspen will work.)

We both work from home, so reloading isn't a big concern.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Here's some photos of our place as you can see definitely less square footage than you are working with. Behind the picture of the Interior photo is a bedroom, bathroom and a separate kennel area for the dogs although that door mostly stays shut as they don't like it super warm but we can crack it and get them some heat whenever needed. With how small the square footage is and how well insulated it is I am generally working hard to make sure we don't overheat.

I am just now seeing that you are trying to heat the house from the basement if you are doing that part of me is leaning towards recommending the larger stove although with our current setup I am almost never burning a full load and coasting off of 1/2 or 3/4.
[Hearth.com] Kuma model to replace Dutchwest
[Hearth.com] Kuma model to replace Dutchwest