king pellet stove 5502m not heating well

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowman252

Nov 18, 2014
Mount Airy, NC
Hi, I am new to this forum and to pellet stoves. I purchased and installed my first pellet stove this year and so far it has been awesome. My house has stayed between 70 and 75 since I started running it. Today however it doesn't seem to be heating as well. I always run it on hr-1 or 2 throughout the night and it keeps the temperature just below 70. Today I have run the stove on somewhere between hr-3 and 5 all day and the temperature hasn't risen above 68 all day. Both fans have been set to auto, I tried changing the room fan to level 9 but there was no change. I have cleaned ashes and burn pot today. The stove is set on auto mode, pressing the manual button doesn't do anything. I'm sure I am doing something wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Is the flame staying smaller than expected ?? If so and it is not over accumulating pellets in the pot, it might be doing what mine did and the pellets were wrapped around the auger and just rotating with it and not augering through it and moving along the auger toward the drop zone as it turns. I pulled mine apart and cleaned a couple of times but the last time, I cleaned, de-burred the auger especially some bad burrs on the last flute just before the pellets dropped, it was ground to a bevel from the factory on that last flute but the burrs created during the grind were still there and were serving to grind up pellets instead of dropping whole so it was playing havok and dropping a lot of fines and not many whole pellets. I also sprayed the auger itself and inside the tube with 3 coats of teflon dri film lube and has ran awesome since. Mine was a new stove and needed a little tweaking. I wrapped a rag around a dowel rod to make a tight fit and really scrubbed the inside of the tube before the teflon spray treatment. I am still concerned it could be a temporary fix since the lube is playing a part and can wear away but I am still running strong as of now.

P.S. mine ran great for the first 24 hours also and I can only assume it might have been lubed somewhat to prevent any rusting in the auger area before being put it into use and this helped at first, Just a theory on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.