King Box NO22 age?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Box King

Jul 30, 2024
Port Angeles, Wa
How old is my King Box wood stove? I was told about the date is on inside door? I am installing it in my garage, can't get permit tell I can prove how old it is. Thank you, King Box

King Box NO22 age? King Box NO22 age?

It's pre-EPA and an unlisted stove. It can not be used for a new install in WA state. Is Port Angeles allowing a garage installation? Many jurisdictions don't.

Went to court house today. They said stove could be exempt if older than 1940. I cannot tell with what pictures I have. The numbers on this one, hard to view. looked online, saids pat. is on inside of door. I would probably be okay if I got some good proof.
Thanks for answering
King Box NO22 age?
g so quick,

Take some pictures of screws heads on it. Phillips head came in vogue after WWII.

I see mfg co on the lip. Who made it? Check dates the company was in business.

Went to court house today. They said stove could be exempt if older than 1940. I cannot tell with what pictures I have. The numbers on this one, hard to view. looked online, saids pat. is on inside of door. I would probably be okay if I got some good proof.
Thanks for answering
View attachment 328678
g so quick,
Exempt from what? Code?

It would be good to ask both the insurance company and the permitting authority if:
a) it is permissible to install and unlisted and uncertified stove
b) if it is permissible to install a wood burning stove in a garage