King/Ashley USSC 5500M - Tripping Breaker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tbelcha15

Nov 6, 2017
Maine
I bought my used pellet stove last year, had absolutely no problems. I ran it for a few hours Saturday night, and again Sunday morning before it tripped the breaker. I tried it on a different outlet on another breaker and it trips it as soon as I plug it in.

I took it all apart and cleaned everything, looked for pinched wires or burned wires. I didn't find anything. The fuses on the panel look ok too. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing it to do this?

I bought my used pellet stove last year, had absolutely no problems. I ran it for a few hours Saturday night, and again Sunday morning before it tripped the breaker. I tried it on a different outlet on another breaker and it trips it as soon as I plug it in.

I took it all apart and cleaned everything, looked for pinched wires or burned wires. I didn't find anything. The fuses on the panel look ok too. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be causing it to do this?

I would suspect the ignotor. That probably draws the most current.

1. This stove can not be run on a GFI outlet so if you are plugging into one stove will not work.

2. Every power drawing source on this stove has a fuse. If all fuses are Ok. I would check the electric cord from the outlet to the stove. Unplug cord from wall outlet and stove if you have a meter check the continuity on each of the prongs on the male plug to each other. There should be no continuity if there is you have a short in the cord. If no continuity then I would follow the black wire from the stoves female plug to the board and the white wire to the board and each motor/igniter.

Unplug draws one at a time, when circuit doesn’t open you got it.

What do you mean draws?

ARC: It's not a GFI outlet. I bought a fuse tester today and they all check out ok. I have a multimeter, not sure how to test continuity though...

Mikkeeh: How would I go about testing the igniter?

Last edited by a moderator:
King/Ashley USSC 5500M - Tripping Breaker
The above signal on the multi meter is for continuity if you set the meter on that and touch the test leads together you the meter should make noise and show continuity. Then if you touch one test lead on one male spade on unplugged power cord and the other test lead on ground or other spade you should Not get signal meaning there is no short on those lines. That is the safe way to test for a short below is a not so safe way to test for short.

Did not want to go this way but unplug power cord from stove. With it not plugged into stove plug it into outlet if it trips breaker you have a short in the power cord. Do not walk away from the outlet when you do this if there is a short cord could get hot and melt quickly.

Draws means each motor and the igniter. anything that draws/uses power. You can either unhook each motor at the control board or at the motor or igniter then leave one thing hooked up plug power cord in if it trips breaker then that motor or igniter is the problem. If breaker does not trip unplug power cord and plug in next motor until you find the one that trips.

You can test ignitors with a ohm meter but for the purpose of finding this problem unplugging the ingiter is test enough.

If you are not popping fuses in the stove but popping a 15 A breaker, I would have to suspect a direct short to ground. I would check the plug wire and the plug. If you are not popping fuses, it's shorted before the controller.
Mice/cat chewing on wires... something like that.